Do you ever find it rude that people don't bother learning a native language? Watch

JamesM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
For example, a lot of people from England/Britain go to a different country and expect the people there to know English. Wouldn't it be more respectable for the English people to learn a little bit of the native language before they go to that country? Whenever I go to a different country, I always try to research common phrases I would need in case the natives don't speak English. Then again, I am not like everyone else, therefore I wouldn't expect everyone to be like me.
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Very rude, if they don't speak a word. Obviously I wouldn't expect them to be fluent.
Nick Longjohnson
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're in a country for anything beyond a holiday, you should at least try.
SchadenfreudeDude
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not from England or a native English speaking country, but when I'm in a foreign country I'll usually speak English.

It has nothing to do with rudeness or arrogance, it's simply the fact that English is one of the most common languages in the world and most people can at least speak/understand a bit.
Unwavering
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends for how long you are going to stay.
The Bagel Guy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say if you move to a country in which doesn't use your native language, then yes.

But if your on holiday, trying to learn some of the phrases you'll need, especially things like please and thank-you is really a matter of common courtesy.

I think it looks a lot better to struggle trying to speak their language than to stand there speaking your own, slower, and slower, and slower, in the hope they'll understand if you talk to them like they're a simpleton.
Jmzie-Coupe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not really rude, ignorant yes but not rude.
Enoch.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Totally agree.
TheSingingMute
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
If you're in a country for anything beyond a holiday, you should at least try.
This
Accalia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Common phrases or questions are reasonable to learn before going to a country. Fluency shouldn't be
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't know them all, have had to accept this myself :sigh:
Rational Paradox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If its for immigration, its unbelievably rude to not even bother to learn the language

If its for holidays, its understandable that you can't learn every language, but some effort should always be made to at least learn important phrases and be able to sustain a conversation
starfired
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello, goodbye, please and thank you should be mandatory. Anything above that is convenient - but at the end of the day a lot of people enjoy taking the opportunity to practice their English, and there's always gestures!
SteveCrain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No not really. I wouldn't expect Inuits who hadn't had English classes since primary school to speak english in england.
Zionic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're moving to a new country you should speak the language of that country.

If your visiting you should at least try your best, use a common phrase if you know it.
effofex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have lived and worked in the Netherlands for 2 months and am nowhere near fluent in Nederlands (Dutch) or even proficient - I can manage to hold a conversation in Dutch for about 1.5 minutes before looking clueless.

Yet for some reason Nederlanders don't even seem to care! I am very surprised.
Tefhel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't find it particularly rude. But it is nice to be able to say something like 'Good morning' or 'Thank you'. I've been to a lot of countries and spoken English and never not been understood - English is an international business language after all - I don't often go off the beaten track though.

It's rude to be impatient with people or patronise people whose second language is English, as some tourists do. I'm grateful that they've learnt English well enough to communicate.
lukas1051
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it's rude not to learn the language, but I think it's rude to expect people to speak English. People complain about immigrants coming to the UK and practicing their religion, speaking their own language... yet the same people then proceed to go on holiday to Spain or France and shout at the locals for not speaking fluent English. Hypocrites.
Bibushka
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everyone should give a try,it's nothing so hard or terrible. Otherwise,it is good.
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
Because there's no point since so many countries decide to learn English. It's like they do all the work for us.

On a side note I would do it anyway if I went abroad just because I can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads