Question about 'plate-glass' universities Watch

SchadenfreudeDude
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_glass_university

Were the plate-glass universities of the 60's looked down upon, in the same way that some post-1992 ex-polys and universities are looked down on today, when they were first established?
supernova92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When they were first established? I don't know... But they are definitely not looked down upon nowadays, so does it matter what was in the past?
Unless you just wanted to know out of curiosity...
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Plate glass universities were built in the early sixties (though some unis built in the mid to late sixties are referred to as plate glass unis such as Aston and Surrey). Some were built out of a need to serve a town that didn't have a university (York, Sussex) and of a government incentive to try and cope with the demands of a growing postwar population and to keep up with technological innovation.

I don't think they were looked down so much. Sussex, for instance, was often called the 'Balliol by the sea' and became a hub for liberal elites.
SebCross
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
These universities are all strong. They aren't looked down upon these days, though best noting that Kent and Essex are considerably less 'prestigious' by most criteria than, say, York, Warwick or Sussex.
chrislpp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Red bricks used to be looked down upon when they were younger.

What's that tell you? (If you can't work it out it's that english people are generally ignorant)
street.lovin'
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought 'plate glass' is merely the term to describe the architecture of uni built in the 60s and not the university performance?!!

TSR makes things so complicated!
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SchadenfreudeDude)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_glass_university

Were the plate-glass universities of the 60's looked down upon, in the same way that some post-1992 ex-polys and universities are looked down on today, when they were first established?
Yes. But that does not mean that former polytechnics will become prestigious in the same way, because there was always a vocational prejudice that divided them from universities, and some former polytechnics are quite old, especially those built around former teaching colleges; the suggestion being that if they were going to become prestigious then they would have done it by now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.5%
No - but I will (65)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.38%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (398)
47.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed