No (38)
30.89%
UnknwnEntity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey,

Are you on Facebook? I was, until about a year ago. I had it before it was "cool" actually, just like MySpace. I remember when MySpace was the market leader and I was considered a bit of a gimp amongst my peers for moving to Facebook which was then the retreat of the bookish and aspergic.

I had about 280 friends all of which I knew from "Real Life" but actually liked about 10% of them. There were three-hundred something photos tagged of me, many in embarrassing, drunk, "I think I can dance" mode - others just appealed to my inner vanity.

Then I realised how ridiculous the whole thing is, how contrived and pervasive this whole "Social Networking" phenomenon has become. From status messages to personality tests - It was like an obligation, a topiary representing ones self that you were implored to perfect and trim, because that page represented (Or atleast societal pressure made me feel) who you were to the world.

When it didn't, it was a facade.

So are you on facebook? Discuss.
truthandtragedy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. I'm a very nosy person. :ninja:
SemperVivum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. I'm touch with all my friends in real time so I've not felt the need to sign-up. i can imagine its quite useful for people to keep in touch with friends / family they no longer see very often though.
TheFlyingDutchman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes and I'll admit to having around 1,000 friends and (like most people) speaking to maybe 10% of them.

I like it because it's allowed me to get in contact with a lot of people from my past. I log in once maybe twice a week and apart from that never use it.

If it got deleted because of some random error then I would not create another.

For me 10 really good friends >>>>> 1,000 friends on a friends list.
Jacktri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
to talk to people
Beanz123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes i am on facebook, it's good for organising nights out etc and enjoy having photos from said nights posted because normally i don't remember most of it...
surina_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yhh but i had to delete it after getting expelled
Delta Aitch
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
I am on facebook because I'm terrible with staying in touch with people. I generally only text/call people I see on an every-day basis, so facebook allows me to reconnect with people. I see them pop up on my feed and I'm like 'ooh, I remember them, wonder what they're up to these days'.
Those spammy facebook apps are a bit annoying, though.
sicarius1992
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I use it to help organise events and to chat and that's it. The **** I see people post can get quite ridiculous, I dread to think what nonsense their Twitter accounts contain.
Nick Longjohnson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Organising events on facebook is boss.

I'm not going to call 50-odd people up individually.
magnum.opus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, I have too much to do Interestingly enough, TSR has become like a FB- I waste soooo much time on here :pinch:
mitchwales
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes.. it acts as an easy way to communicate with customers and friends. Also got back in touch with a few people purely because of Facebook.

I don't play the games, answer questions or ****e like that though. BORING!
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not on Facebook for the following reasons:

I don't need it.
If people want to contact me then they can text/call/send a letter to me if they're feeling old-skool.
There's already a fair amount of photos of me on Myspace, I don't need a duplicate account under another domain.
It would give my ex's a "reason" to get back in contact with me, and I really don't need that. Yes, I know I can deny their friend request, but I'd rather not have to deal with it at all.
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, but I only use it because it's a very useful mode of communication with friends. Otherwise I ****ing hate it.
SchadenfreudeDude
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not on Facebook.

Because I'm not all that interested in other peoples' lives, and I certainly don't think they'd be interested in mine.
Xx.MissEG.xX
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I don't go on it that often though. I talk to people who I don't see often. I like finding out things I probably wouldn't otherwise. I have a few tagged photos and I don't really care if people think something of me based on what I do on there, as I know nearly everyone in real life anyway.
darkred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by surina_xxx)
Why did you have to delete it? What did you do to get expelled? :lolwut:
G550NDH
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by surina_xxx)
spill the beans !
Miss Attitude
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes but i have people that i know from REAL LIFE whom i actualii chat to. so its all gud
Stargazer23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, but I don't use it anymore hardly. But if I'm arranging something/want to just quickly chat then I'll use it.

Back in the day I used Myspace, then mainly Facebook... now mainly TSR :ninja:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise