Have I ruined my life? (uni) Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I'm supposed to be coming to the end of my first year at university, but I'm not going to finish it. The main reason is that I think I chose the wrong course (American studies) and I've been struggling with the work. Now I'm at the point where there is no point in me even attempting to pass my upcoming exams, and I'm pretty sure I failed both the exams I sat in January, so I don't think I could save my degree at this point even if I really wanted to. I know there is no chance of me finishing the degree with a decent classification even if I did somehow manage to get past this year.
I've come to the conclusion that it's not just the course that's not for me, it's university in general. I really don't know what other subject I could do if I wanted to attempt uni again, and with the fee increase, I know I've blown my chance at ever getting a degree.
I'm feeling so depressed right now, because all I hear is how I will never get anywhere in life without a degree. I tell myself I'd be in the same awful situation in 2 years when I graduate anyway, since my degree subject would hardly impress employers, but deep down I know I've probably ruined my life.
I want to get a job in admin or something, because I have no big career aspirations, I've never known what I want to do as a career. Right now I feel so hopeless and that I'm doomed to work in a low earning job forever. I'm having suicidal thoughts and I really don't know what to do. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
UnknwnEntity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
American studies you say?

Tell me, is the burger on the bun, or is the bun on the burger?

:holmes:
Ich Dien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you not consider that Uni may not be right for you before you started paying for it?

(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm feeling so depressed right now, because all I hear is how I will never get anywhere in life without a degree.
:lolwut:. A degree is not a ticket to a better life..
JessieBelle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
University just isn't for everyone. Have you thought about maybe getting an apprenticeship in something you actually enjoy? You would be getting experience AND and education then, but in a completely different environment to university
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ok firstly if you did decide uni was for you the fee increase doesnt come in untill 2012 and doesnt affect "current" students, you can apply in clearing for september start and avoid fee increase , or have you thought about distance learning? i have a friend loved psychology at A level went to uni did it for a while ended up hating her course, infact psychology in general became a taboo for her, she dropped out and is now studying psychology with open university and LOVING it

but academia isnt for everyone...you could do things the old fashioned way, apprenticeship, vocational qualifications, or just do find a job you like and work your way up
x
MorningElegance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Plenty of people find a good job without a degree - I'd say try some different types of jobs, build up experience and find out what you'd like to do if you're definitely leaving university. Unless you're a mature student, you must still be fairly young if you're in your first year of uni - there will still be many opportunities, and I'm sure you're not alone in not knowing what to do.

And also, a career may be a big part of your life, but in many cases it does not define it.
Stressworthy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ultimately, you just need to do what you'd be happy doing. I'd suggest sitting down and really thinking about what you enjoy/what you want from life - even if it isn't anything concrete, it's still something to help you along so you feel better about yourself and your purpose generally. There's no point doing something that you're unhappy about and will just make you miserable.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for the replies so far.
Anyone else care to throw in their two cents?
mary21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UnknwnEntity)
American studies you say?

Tell me, is the burger on the bun, or is the bun on the burger?

:holmes:
The burger is in the bun.

You have to cut open the bun to fit the burger inside.

Though there could be an argument against this school of thought, I might write an essay exploring it

Sorry nothing against american studies, post just made me laugh
Alouette!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sorry if you read what this post originally said... I shouldn't joke :/ I understand how you feel

To be honest... I think that you should sit the first year exams, just to see how you do. Also, as someone else has said, do a bit of research into what other courses are available, and if you find one that you like the sound of, you can always apply next year, or possibly even go through clearing.
truthandtragedy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Trust me, you're not the only one who feels like this. I was in the same situation, but I've managed to sort out my situation and now I'm feeling SO positive. I was studying psychology, and I'm coming to the end of my first year now. After Christmas, I realised that the course wasn't for me and I was really miserable studying it. I didn't want to waste another three years to come out with a degree that wouldn't get me anywhere (or at least not where I wanted to be).

I decided to drop out. It was a really hard decision, especially telling my family because I felt like a huge disappointment to them, but they were all very supportive. I'm sitting my exams next month, just because I feel that I may as well since I''m here and it feels like a waste not to. I'm not expecting to pass. I'm not passionate about my subject at all, which always makes it more difficult. I decided to apply for college, and reapply to uni to study primary education next year. It's probably the best decision I've made, as I'm actually feeling so optimistic and excited about my course starting! I remember this time last year, and I knew I was excited about uni.. but I think that was more being excited about moving away, independence and partying, and definitely not excitement about my course.

Please don't feel that you're alone in this situation, because you're definitely not. I've spoken to a lot of people who felt like dropping out at some point in first year, you just have to think and decide if it's best to carry on or to leave while you can. Your happiness is most important in this situation. I was scared to drop out because of disappointing people, but then I realised that it's not them who have to be unhappy for 3 years, it's me.

I'm not sure if I've helped, but I really hope you find a solution. Dropping out of uni is definitely not the end of the world, though. I'm assuming you're still young (18-22ish?), so you've got plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. Don't rush it.
anon2010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im leaving my degree at the end of first year to go and do another course coz I realised I didnt like the one I was on. Its not really a big deal. People change their mind about stuff all the time. It does not make you a bad person. It makes you a normal person.

You have loads of other options if you dont like uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (62)
37.58%
No - but I will (6)
3.64%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
52.73%

Watched Threads