The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
well if you think back Amy was living with her aunt, so maybe spent time at a home. So maybe the picture is of amy as a baby and her mum. could the spaceman be younger amy?

My head hurts
I have a better Doctor Who romance pair...

So much gay chemistry between those two...:lol:
Original post by Dizzy in my Head
They're just so darn cute! Isn't anyone still completely obsessed with Doctor Who in the good old days (season one and two, and perhaps the end of season four)? Though I loved Donna and Martha had her moments, I feel like Doctor Who has really changed (obviously). Steven Moffat's out of control in his quest to leave his mark on the show! He says he's not too keen on the character and is unlikely to re-introduce her to the Eleventh Doctor. :frown:

One of the worst companions ever, Adric was irritating in his way but at least she had the good grace to get himself killed in the progress, Rose was shipped to an alernate dimension and STILL got brought back. Irritating annoying and every episode where she is the titular chrachter makes me cringe.

Martha good
Donna was freaking awesome
Amy is great - but at times were back to the doe eyed i wanna shag the doctor look.

Donna was brilliant as she had no interest in the doctor

Rose though of all the companions why the hell would he fall in love with a bimbo peroxide blonde buck toothed sour faced chav?

Original post by squareroot1764
I LOVE the Doctor and Rose! I really loved their relationship, and although I love the new series, I don't think Moffat can beat the Russel T Davies era for me. Doomsday was pretty much the saddest thing I've ever watched.

THEY WERE SO GODDAMN CUTE.

Are you mad? Seriously. Moffat has give us the best episodes of the entire series - blink, silence in the library, and forest of the dead. Not to mention he gave us the likes of Sherlock Holmes and Jekyll.

I really don't understand why people think she's such an overused character. :angry: I mean, she was in the show for two years (her normal running time) and was re-introduced to tie up loose ends and to give her the happy ending that everyone wanted the character to have. How is that overused, how? So what if people want her to come back? As far I'm concerned she's the only companion that really actually posed as the most obvious love interest to the Doctor and loads of people really liked that. :wink:

There are easily ten times more people that like Rose rather than any other companion (as a love interest - Donna's just amazing).:rolleyes:

And don't diss Russell T Davies - he resurrected the Doctor Who we know today.

She was taken out of the series by being placed in another dimension which we were told would not come into play again. And still she was brought back. Funnily enough i know more people (in particular the purists) who cannot stand Rose than like her.

And just becuase she is possibly the most popular does not mean shes the best.

and just because Davies brought it back doesnt mean there arent better people out there. Some of his story lines especially his end of his series were ridiculous stolen planet and a new dalek empire - come on. Though that did give doctor donna. And Davies has given us excellent episodes most notably Turn Left and Midnight.

We're so not getting into a species debate, are we? (Snorts) What does that matter? If someone's in love, it's not like something like that would matter. And since when does the Doctor get off with everyone in the TARDIS? :confused: And Amy is really not perfect at all - not as a character. As I've said before, she brings the wrong message accross, short skirts and kiss-o-grams and one night stands and stuff. Yup, I prefer Rose as a companion. At least there was a bit of playful banter/romance/attitude. :wink:

And "ill screw up the universe just to see my daddy" is a good message. and seeing its hardly a recurring theme (unlike whiny faces i want my daddy) you cant really harp on about the kiss-o-grams

And name one female companion (excuding Donna) that the doctor hasnt snogged.

Original post by i'm cool yeah?
amy pond
hot readheads :coma:
tennant was the better doctor though
not a huge fan of smith

Give Smith time (pun not intended) We have yet to see his darker side, so far we have seen his quirky barmy whacky side but the new series is set to get a lot darker and the doctor with it. I like him - his barminess seems a bit more natural than Tennants (though the guy is a phemoninal actor)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I'm not bothered, but it would be nice to have some sort of poll up if you guys want one too. :holmes:

We could have a poll on either one of these, any thoughts?

Favourite series of New WHO:

Series 1 (2005)

Series 2 (2006)

Series 3 (2007)

Series 4 (2008)

Specials (2008 - 2010)

Series 5 (2009)

Favourite Companion/Doctor lite episode:

Love & Monsters

Blink

Midnight

Turn Left

The Lodger

Terrifying monsters showdown

Weeping Angels

Silents

Favourite companion

Rose

Martha

Donna

Wilfred

Captain Jack

Rory

Amy

Canton

Who is the regenerating little girl?

River Song

Amy Pond

Some relation of Amy Pond.

The Doctor

Some relation of the Doctor

Someone new

The Rani

This makes my head hurt

Who is the Astronaut who killed the Doctor?

River Song

The Doctor

Amy

Rory

Cba covering all the possible options. Off to bed. :colonhash:

Spoiler

Bolded answers
Rose and The Doctor is definitely the best romantic pairing. He hasn't really shown his feelings to anyone else in quite the same way (at least post-2005, though I gather he wasn't really the relationship type pre Nu-Who), and needless to say - as others have - 'Doomsday' is such an emotionally powerful episode. I watched it again last week and was definitely moved!
Original post by Mess.
There was a kid running round McDonalds the other day dressed in full Matt Smith costume. He had his sonic screwdriver out and was 'zapping' things with it whilst saving McDonalds from the Daleks :rofl2:

You should have totally wound him up about the Silent standing behind him.
Reply 1946
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
But surely if River had killed the Doctor she would only need to escape from prison in that episode if it was in her past? And then she'd remember and therefore wouldn't shoot herself?

Sorry I think im being really dense lol, as I dont get what you mean entirely about only escaping in that episode :s I was thinking she did shoot him in her past but then went to the prison as a promise to the doctor that she would (maybe so his younger self always knows where to find her)

When does River shoot herself?
I'm not bothered, but it would be nice to have some sort of poll up if you guys want one too. :holmes:

We could have a poll on either one of these, any thoughts?

Favourite series of New WHO:

Series 1 (2005)

Series 2 (2006)

Series 3 (2007)

Series 4 (2008)

Specials (2008 - 2010)

Series 5 (2009)

Favourite Companion/Doctor lite episode:

Love & Monsters

Blink

Midnight

Turn Left

The Lodger

Terrifying monsters showdown

Weeping Angels

Silents

Favourite companion

Rose

Martha

Donna

Wilfred

Captain Jack

Rory

Amy

Canton

Who is the regenerating little girl?

River Song

Amy Pond

Some relation of Amy Pond.

The Doctor

Some relation of the Doctor

Someone new

The Rani

This makes my head hurt

Who is the Astronaut who killed the Doctor?

River Song

The Doctor

Amy

Rory

Cba covering all the possible options. Off to bed. :colonhash:

Spoiler

answers in bold
Reply 1948

Why are you guys giving me answers? :unsure:

because they didn't read the post properly :mmm:
Original post by Greg1989
Sorry I think im being really dense lol, as I dont get what you mean entirely about only escaping in that episode :s I was thinking she did shoot him in her past but then went to the prison as a promise to the doctor that she would (maybe so his younger self always knows where to find her)

When does River shoot herself?

At the beginning of the first episode River is escaping again from prison, implying that in her timeline she's there before the Doctor is killed. She shoots the astronaut, which if it's a past River is herself, which she can't do.
Reply 1950
in the library episode when the doctor says something about how theres only one reason he could tell someone his proper name. does anyone know what that reason is is it something from the old series or just something we don't know
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
But surely if River had killed the Doctor she would only need to escape from prison in that episode if it was in her past? And then she'd remember and therefore wouldn't shoot herself?
Just had a thought about the mysterious woman, don't know if it's been mentioned though! The comments she's been making; dreaming, doing okay etc., could be to do with timelines splitting. Don't know if I can explain this too well, but maybe there are two Amy's, and one's been shut away with this woman for someone, and the Amy we're seeing has to do something in order for normality to be restored, which is why her progress is being watched by this woman. Saying she's doing alright for example could simply be her telling a different Amy that she's doing something right in her timeline? I'm not too sure if that makes sense, but I think there are two parallel timelines running together, and everything depends on Amy making the right choice at some point.

I love this theory :biggrin:
Why are you guys giving me answers? :unsure:

oops i saw the first person answer so just assumed you wanted peoples thoughts XD
Reply 1953
Original post by boba
in the library episode when the doctor says something about how theres only one reason he could tell someone his proper name. does anyone know what that reason is is it something from the old series or just something we don't know

We don't know yet, and i'm sure once we do know it'll unearth the mystery of River Song
BBC Four is currently showing one of the classic episodes. It's been on for about 10 minutes so it's probably best to download it later, if you want to watch it.
Has anyone heard about the rumors that the finale will be set in an Alternate World (felt the need to capitalize :biggrin:)?

These may enlighten you. Pictures btw. Not much of a spoiler so don't expect much.

Spoiler

It fits in with the points that Ape made about mirrors being gateways to alternate worlds, other dimensions, you know. Correct once again. :danceboy: :P
Reply 1956
Original post by sleekchic
BBC Four is currently showing one of the classic episodes. It's been on for about 10 minutes so it's probably best to download it later, if you want to watch it.

I had it set to record, but due to my Dad wanting to record the football and my sister wanting to watch Corrie means I had to cancel it.:angry: Hopefully I'll be able to catch it on iPlayer.
Reply 1957
Is the Old Who actually any good? Or was it just good for the time/rose tinted glasses?
Original post by Mess.
Is the Old Who actually any good? Or was it just good for the time/rose tinted glasses?

Some of it is fun, don't expect any production values whatsoever though.
Reply 1959
Original post by Colonel.

Original post by Colonel.
Some of it is fun, don't expect any production values whatsoever though.

I don't think I could stomach watching something were walls move :mmm:

Latest

Trending

Trending