DMU gym Watch

LostRiots
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What's the free weights section at the John Sandford Sports Centre like? In particular I'm after heavy barbells, DBs, benches & squat rack. Chin/pull up bar and decline sit up bench would be a plus but aren't essential.

If the facilities there are lacking in free weights and mainly focus on cardio, does anyone know of any other good local (and preferably cheap) gyms that have the equipment mentioned?

Thanks
TheMeters
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't mind knowing the same.
mollysukie
Report 7 years ago
ive been a member since march, and its very good value for money...if i remember its mainly aimed at cardio...theres a few weight machines and various other weight machines
SamGee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been going there since the start of last year and its a good gym, theres a floor dedicated to almost solely cardio, theres quite a lot of machines that focus on arms downstairs as well as several rowing machines and a chin up machine kinda thing. There is further down the hallway in the gym a room dedicated too freeweights, i'm not sure what weight they go up too but theres def heavy barbells and other stuff inc a large punchbag. You can also rent the courts out if you want to play babminton or squash (Plus 5aside football) It has pretty much everything with the best of it being the sauna its a bit basic in places but its a top class gym
Rosie24601
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How much is it to use?
marvelboy18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rosie24601)
How much is it to use?
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/student_s...membership.jsp
stranger1992
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like John Sandford. Ive been a member since the start of my first year (Sept.2010). But watch what time you go. I always think it is best to go when it opens at 8:15am. If you go at 12 onwards you get the asian rudeboys or the show-boaters that like to do bloody press-ups in the middle of the machines on the top floor. >_>
marvelboy18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by stranger1992)
I like John Sandford. Ive been a member since the start of my first year (Sept.2010). But watch what time you go. I always think it is best to go when it opens at 8:15am. If you go at 12 onwards you get the asian rudeboys or the show-boaters that like to do bloody press-ups in the middle of the machines on the top floor. >_>
Are people friendly there?

I am considering getting a membership in September and can I ask what the opening times are?

Much appreciated
Rosie24601
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks! looks really good got my results and passed my course so i'm defo off to DMU in Sep!! yay!
NoShorty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it just machines at the gym, or are there classes like zumb, aerobic, body pump or what ever?
stranger1992
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry for not replying.

There are classes, machines and weights. It's decor dosent look very good, like very beige ect but it is actually a top gym. A new gym is getting built next year and will replace it but that wont happen the next academic yr (2011-2012).
PwnArtist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want a weight aimed gym go to PureGym, it's down Walnut Street 2 minutes walk from the DSU, It's £16.99 a month but that includes 24/7 access, fitness classes and it's very well equipt.

http://www.puregym.com/gyms/leicester
chalkyman
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PwnArtist)
If you want a weight aimed gym go to PureGym, it's down Walnut Street 2 minutes walk from the DSU, It's £16.99 a month but that includes 24/7 access, fitness classes and it's very well equipt.

http://www.puregym.com/gyms/leicester
£17 a month or £50 a year... hmmmmmmmmmmmm. lol We are students after all, not made of money.

24/7 access, so you can go there at 4am?
PwnArtist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chalkyman)
£17 a month or £50 a year... hmmmmmmmmmmmm. lol We are students after all, not made of money.

24/7 access, so you can go there at 4am?
Yes you can go there at 4am. Hence the 24/7 opening.
Copycats&Acrobats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The dmu gym is open til 10pm weekdays, I've got a gold membership because I commute and have a *****y timetable this year so working around the peak times was too much of a hassle. It's £150 in total, you can set up a direct debit to take out £37.50p at set times in the year which usually coincide with sf payments. Note that mine is the extended one, as it allows me to use the gym outside of term times and in the summer too. I mainly do cardio at the moment, and the machines are really good quality, they have tv/radio built in and an iPod/iPhone doc and a USB port so you can Facebook whilst jogging and charge your phone up when you realise you got so drunk last night that you fell asleep with your phone stuck to your face and it is therefore now dead.

They have classes too, I tried a spinning blitz one and omg thought I was dying! The staff are really helpful if you ever need any help with the machines and I've left my purse in there like three times now and they always have it behind the info desk (thank god) they also have a swimming pool, and games courts, and a climbing wall if you feel like joining the climbing soc... Also do self defence classes which I've been meaning to join up to. I go gym between 11-4pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and generally can get on machines without waiting. It isn't far from the uni, or most uni halls which is also a plus. If you wanna know something about the gym and you can't find it online then why don't you try phoning them?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads