The Student Room Group

Solved, thank you

Edit: solved :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Part 1 shows you that the equation you have to solve in the second part, can be written as 4cos2x9cosx+2=04cos^2x-9cosx+2 = 0.

If you let cos(x) = t, and rewrite the equation, the solution should become clearer.
(edited 12 years ago)
hint: Its a quadratic equation!
Reply 3
Original post by The Muffin Man_

Hi there, I have this question (shown below) for which 8(a) I've solved and got the required solution, but am not sure how this is used in 8(b) and what to do in 8(b) - could someone help me with this, please? :s-smilie:

Think about what Sin^2(x) is equal to.
Reply 4
I got: 75.5, 284.5, 435.5 and 644.5 as the answers, is this correct?
Original post by EEngWillow
Part 1 shows you that the equation you have to solve in the second part, can be written as 4cos2x9cosx+2=04cos^2x-9cosx+2 = 0.

If you let cos(x) = t, and rewrite the equation, the solution should become clearer.

I have cos(x) = 1/4 (disregarding cos(x) = 2) and have got 75.5 from the inverse. Now I'm just not sure of how you take 75.5 from 360/add to 360 and whatnot for the solutions... :colondollar:
You now have the same terms in one equation so like a normal quadratic equation just factorise, don't get put off by the fact it's cosx and cos^2x :smile: you can do it :smile:
Original post by Hemzo
I got: 75.5, 284.5, 435.5 and 644.5 as the answers, is this correct?

:yes:
I have cos(x) = 1/4 (disregarding cos(x) = 2) and have got 75.5 from the inverse. Now I'm just not sure of how you take 75.5 from 360/add to 360 and whatnot for the solutions... :colondollar:

Draw the graph. Always helps if you aren't sure.
Reply 9
Remember that sin2x=1cos2xsin^2 x = 1 - cos^2 x.
So, substitute it in!
Original post by EEngWillow
Draw the graph. Always helps if you aren't sure.

Ah that helped immensely; I have all of the solutions now. Thank you very much!
Ah that helped immensely; I have all of the solutions now. Thank you very much!

No problem. Get in the habit of drawing graphs, they help. :smile:
Reply 12
Allow Graphs, CAST diagram is the way forward!

Quick Reply

Latest