Wall Street Survivor etc. Watch

Competencies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Would success on an 'virtual online stock market' be considered a complete joke on an application form/in an interview or would they see it as a positive?
Eklipz89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I probably wouldn't go out there and say "I am fit for this job because my online portfolio on WSS is up 17%"

I have been asked in the past if I spread bet or participated in any online trading games. For example, if you were successful in a virtual stock market game sponsored by a bank, you could put a very positive twist on that.
Planar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it follows the actual stock market(not some fantasy one), and the only virtual bit is the money used, then I think it'd be rather a good thing.
epc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As one bullet point yes, but showing what you learnt, not how much you made.
andiroo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by epc)
As one bullet point yes, but showing what you learnt, not how much you made.
Good point, normally i just put my % return and my strategy. "Short term news driven fundamentals". Always gets a few questions on this in the interview where I can then talk about the learning experience.
Theconomist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it was an actual real portfolio that was earning you great revenue then chances are you wouldn't need to go for a job interview as you'd have private investors interested in you managing their money.

Basically what you're asking is: If I'm good at a video game can I put it on my CV in the real life version of that?

Imagine Jose Mourinho saying that he beat barcelona on fifa manager 2011 ...
kilf92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if it was not real money then you are less likely to make the same decisions. If it was real money im sure it would be a very different story becaus of the increased risk and therefore i dont think it will be seen as a positive on your cv because of the fact it was not real money vbut if you actually invested your money good on ya
Nimiza
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Competencies)
Would success on an 'virtual online stock market' be considered a complete joke on an application form/in an interview or would they see it as a positive?
If you put this on your CV, be prepared to be grilled on it. Know what your strategy was, investment horizon, particular stocks it worked on, particular stocks it didn't work on and why, your return, what you learnt, etc.

If you can't answer these questions, then you're just a gambler, and they don't want that.
DerPumuckl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by andiroo)
Good point, normally i just put my % return and my strategy. "Short term news driven fundamentals". Always gets a few questions on this in the interview where I can then talk about the learning experience.
News driven fundamentals?
andiroo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DerPumuckl)
News driven fundamentals?
I'm not sure "news driven fundamental" is an adopted word or actually is defined as something else but hopefully the example below might clear it up a little.

For example BP oil spill, the initial estimate of the clean up cost was 40bn.

There are 188m shares outstanding, therefore 40,000,000,000/118,000,000 ~ 340p drop in the share price.

So the share price to represent this loss should be 650 - 340 = 310p (where 650 was the current price the day the spill happened).

The price actually dropped to 305p.

The fundamental aspect is that I'm calculating an intrinsic value for the company. The news driven aspect is that my fundamental analysis was motivated by a major news event (i like volatility especially when there is a strong case for one way price movement).
crcr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
news driven fundamental is code for insider trading on wall street. i don't think its a serious strategy and the way you frame it is pretty misleading. for example, the BP thing had far more uncertainty about the costs than the way you frame it and the way you calculate the liability is kind of crazy as well. in addition, i doubt anyone else would look upon it favorably considering that this is something that can only be done with very good info/tech. there is no real fundamental aspect to this. just my opinion tho.
andiroo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by crcr)
news driven fundamental is code for insider trading on wall street. i don't think its a serious strategy and the way you frame it is pretty misleading. for example, the BP thing had far more uncertainty about the costs than the way you frame it and the way you calculate the liability is kind of crazy as well. in addition, i doubt anyone else would look upon it favorably considering that this is something that can only be done with very good info/tech. there is no real fundamental aspect to this. just my opinion tho.
Thanks for the feedback, the better way would have just to subtract 40bn from the market cap and used that to calc the share price. I think the validity depends upon trading style. In the long run the above wouldn't be successful, but short run intraday trading it can be useful.

How would you have approached it?
crcr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
errr well i traded this myself but it was a bad trade altho i made money in the end (i think). the first problem is that the unknown risks involved were too serious for a short-term trade. literally anything could have happened. remember at the time people were saying $100bn, the reason i made the trade was cos i thought this was bull**** but over the short-term this doesn't matter as the government could have done anything and people would have kept selling. the right way to do it would have been to take a look at the actual business, which i didn't spend enough time doing, and work out how everything would play out and how it would affect the business and then take off estimates based on that value (as opposed to market cap). also the costs of the spill could have been spread over any time i.e 1 year or 20 years so again anything could have happened. the key point is that there are good and bad unknowns, this was a bad one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads