The Student Room Group

What does Lobster and Crab taste like?

Hi there, I have a few questions. I have my first ever prawn 3 weeks ago (18 years old :biggrin:) and it was kinda soft, but crunchy if that makes sense? They were boiled so I'm assuming that's normal to taste like that?

Now my next questions are; what do crab sticks and lobster taste like?

Also, have you ever eaten dried fish in packets?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Privilege, boy.
SO GOOD
Reply 3
Yummay

Crab sticks = not real crab, do not eat

Real crab = oooh yeah
Reply 4
Yeah but lol - what do they taste like?
Chicken

All new things taste like chicken... :biggrin:

EDIT: It appears someone misunderstands the use of the neg button...
(edited 12 years ago)
Lobster claw meat is sort of sweet and light, and tastes a little like shrimp, kind of. Well noice. :coma:
Reply 7
'tastes like chicken'
amazing but best to try it yourself

crab is pretty cheap but lobster sets you back around £19-21 per kg/pound (can't remember the measurement), can be cheaper if you get local lobsters so check with your fishmonger
(edited 13 years ago)
Lobster and crab respectively.
Tastes like royal shrimp, injected with, and marinated in, tiger blood.
My dad owns a seafood shop. :smile:

Please never eat crab sticks. They are not crab, and we've been told that we have to sell them as ocean sticks now, because basically they're the bits of fish that are usually regarded as inedible. Actual crab meat is delicious, although I'm not fond of the dark meat. If you want to try if for the first time make sure you buy a dressed crab, then everything is pretty and laid out and edible for you. :smile:

Lobsters have a less "fishy" taste than crab, but have a distinct flavour of their own. Really delicious, but don't be fooled into buying a big one - smaller lobsters often taste the best. If you're squeamish, buy them cooked, but for the best flavour by a live one. The quickest and most humane way to kill them is to throw them head first into already boiling water. Never try to freeze them or stick a knife in their head's first, they're actually very difficult to kill and you're causing them more pain than is necessary. They never scream when they go in, that's an urban legend. What might happen is the air rushes out of the shell and creates a high pitched noise, but my dad has been cooking lobsters for 30 years and has only had this happen twice.

Really, really try more seafood. :smile: There are so many different flavours and textures, I'm not saying you'll like all of it, not by a loing stuff, there's plenty that I hate, but it's very healthy and local fishing is really beneficial for the country's economy. :smile: Don't be grossed out by appearences, ask your fishmonger to fillet the fish if you feel squeamish looking at it. :smile:

EDIT: Also, if you like prawns, try bbq-ing them or look for smoked prawns. I can't eat normal prawns anymore because i find them so boring compared to my dad's home smoked prawns XD :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
lobster sets you back around £19-21 per kg/pound (can't remember the measurement), can be cheaper if you get local lobsters so check with your fishmonger

Cooked lobster is the most expensive, but even then it shouldn't cost you more than £10 a pound. Anyone who's charging you more is ripping you off, mate :wink:
Original post by BlueJoker
Cooked lobster is the most expensive, but even then it shouldn't cost you more than £10 a pound. Anyone who's charging you more is ripping you off, mate :wink:

why would you buy cooked lobster? we buy ours fresh/live - you won't find lobster for less than 10. however, i'm not sure if it's 19 a pound or 19 a kg

EDIT: my bad - i guess you're right, its around 10 per pound which equals around 20 a kg
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Mmmm both taste great :smile: Just go to a seafood restaurant with some mates and try em out! NOT like chicken
Reply 15
Lobster, crayfish, langoustine etc; the tail meat is delicious. Almost mollusc-like in consistency in an uncooked/just-cooked state, the texture is an almost firmer-jellied whitefish.

The taste is quite salty but not overly so; an initial hit of "freshness" followed by that distinctive shellfish taste, which is subtle but not weak. The flavour develops into a soft, almost well-rounded malty fish taste.
They both taste delicious :sogood:
I've never had lobster, but found crab pretty rank.
Reply 18
I've had crab before and loved it, I don't know how to describe the taste though! I think it tastes like a mixture of meat and fish...
Reply 19
Never had lobster; too poor.

:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest