The Student Room Group

Britain's Proudest Moment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by tez.
I'd argue that you're probably more worthless if you need something as pathetic as a wedding of two rich tossers who are funded by the state to rejoice in life.

It's what it represents and how the people reacted that's special.

And Kate's family were miners, and in the last few generations have gone from miners to successful business people to now Royals. Kate is most certainly not a 'rich tosser' and neither is Prince William.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Occlusal
He will still be paying for it though.

And will benefit from the 250M in tourism this is meant to have brought in
Reply 82
Original post by ish90an
Then look at the people who couldn't give a flying ****(I don't think the Syrian ambassador, for one, is crying over being left out). People get married all the time, this obsessing over someone's wedding is best left to the tabloids instead of forcing itself on the front page of actual newspapers, especially when there are far bigger things to report, and only shallow people with no lives of their own take it as more than an extra day off work.

Why do you feel the need to insult those who enjoyed this momentous occasion? Jealous that people are confident enough to celebrate or jealous that it's not you being recognised as the future King and Queen are?
Reply 83
Original post by Rant
Be patronised, then. Because it's true.

Thanks for letting me see the truth then. From now on I'll realise that having any patriotism is down to media/political influence, and I must have been so small minded thinking that I felt patriotic by my own free will.
This is a longer version of it, the presenter laughs his ass off after!
LOL he sounds like he's about to explode :rofl2:

He needs to calm down change the channel, geez
Reply 86
Why do people seem to think that we have nothing to commend us to the world other than the Royal Family? It's embarrassing, really. If they are what's best about our country, and if we would not be able to hold our heads high without them, then we really are in trouble.

Also, to those people saying that he should just change the channel, he should not have to. He pays his licence fee as does everyone else, and the simple fact is that the BBC have broadcast little else other then Royal Wedding programmes over the last few days. As a recipient of his money (and also of the money of many other people who feel similarly to him), the BBC should take note and at least listen to him, rather than just laughing at them and ignoring entirely valid points.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Aj12
And will benefit from the 250M in tourism this is meant to have brought in

Yes, of course it will be £250M, its not like the royal family have ever lied in the past, right?
Reply 88
Give it a rest. It's all over and done with now. It's no worse than the World Cup to people who don't like football or the US presidential election coverage we get every four years.
Reply 89
Original post by Broderss
They are great figureheads for our nation and we would not be as distinct as we are now if they didn't exist. They define Britain and give us all something to respect and remind us of what Britain is.

You can be as jealous as you like, but you won't understand until you stop being so hateful and ignorant. It's true that the constitutional monarchy of the United Kingdom is unfair and does not represent equality, but that's not the point and it doesn't need to be.

Fail.
Reply 90
Original post by GGekko
Thanks for letting me see the truth then. From now on I'll realise that having any patriotism is down to media/political influence, and I must have been so small minded thinking that I felt patriotic by my own free will.

Very good.
Original post by tez.
Easy for you to say that when it's not your taxes which are being paid so that they can live in palaces in perfect luxury by virtue of their being born.

e; above post, the difference is the House of Commons is elected by the people. The House of Lords perhaps you could make a case for, however they have significantly less power and a large amount are appointed by the people who you elected into power.

My taxes are spent on ignorant politicians almost immune to law and their offices, personnel, cars and diplomatic visits (sometimes known as holidays), whose primary task is to collect as much money as possible so I know a bit about unfair spending. However, I believe that the Royal Family does deserve the income for the loss of privacy, considerable amount of work on behalf of the British people (mostly diplomatic) and for their existence itself because the monarchy and its symbols are the main reasons why tourists visit the UK. I believe that the income from tourism itself covers their spending.

Then, I believe that it was the monarchy that led the British to win in the Second World War. It is a strong symbol of unity, culture and accomplishment, unique in the world. Personally, I think that amongst the politicians, King George VI (who was not exactly a politician, but I can not find a more appropriate word) and Sir Winston Churchill were the heroes of the war. Now that nearly everyone in our society knows about the difficulties that George VI had to face (I am referring to the King's Speech), I consider their effort worth the money that they receive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 92
Tune into Pete Price radio show, you get 10x as many pranks too. :biggrin:

People call in & randomly shout 'donor kebab' and 'tastes like chicken'!

Original post by Bellrosk
So it showcases a redundant and unfair class system? This is what we have to be proud of?

oh total equality will never be achieved it's impossible. It's the old one man's success is another man's downfall type chat. Plus this wedding will have brought bucket loads of money to our country in the form of tourist spending, which we're in dire need of.
Reply 94
Original post by helen.allan123
oh total equality will never be achieved it's impossible. It's the old one man's success is another man's downfall type chat. Plus this wedding will have brought bucket loads of money to our country in the form of tourist spending, which we're in dire need of.

Total equality will most likely never be achieved, I do realise this but having a monarchy is about the furthest you can get from equality.

The wedding also cost the economy far more than it brought in due to the fact that this was a public holiday.
Reply 95
Original post by helen.allan123

Apparently it cost us £6bn according to cbi.
Reply 96
lol miserable person, the monarchy is the only thing going for the "great" britain
To me they typify a major problem with this country.

This outdated but sadly persistent notion of birthright.

Instead of being a meritocratic soceity, its all about who you know and who you were born to. Just look at the dominance of the public schools in all of the top professions such as journalism and law.

What a shame that so many people are written off at birth.
Reply 98
Original post by hanros
lol miserable person, the monarchy is the only thing going for the "great" britain

Your comment defines irony!
Original post by chrislpp

The next leave Britney alone! :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending