?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
i find M1 so freaken hard even further maths dont compare to me atleast
Dpwalker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think mechanics is just one of those things you either get or you don't, I found m2 a bit easier tbh as by then you know how to approach the questions.
chaz1992
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The thing with M1 is that it's not very relatable to what you've done at GCSE and is all new and so it's a harder jump from GCSE maths to Mechanics Maths. The jump from M1 to M2 is fairly small and M2 is a lot easier to get to grips with as the jump in difficulty is smaller. M2 is harder than M1, BUT M1 will require you to do more work as M1 will SEEM harder.
Bakasplitz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
M1 is terribad. I'm on it atm and it seriously needs time to go over and get your head around.
I would say its harder because its the first mechanics module you'll do before M2, once the basic thinking of M1 is achieved, M2 is easier to learn compared to learning M1 :]
warwickorbristol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
M1 content easier, M2 exam is easier.
Rational Paradox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
M1 has a harder exam, with M2 having harder content and M3 being the most interesting out of them
sucess
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
M1 is making me crazy not matter how much i revise i never get it
Freerider101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm self teaching them both. M1 I could do without reading the book since it was all motion and point forces which I'd already covered in physics. M2 on the other hand seems really hard since its all about centre of mass and forces in equilibrium something I haven't done in physics!!
Rational Paradox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sucess)
M1 is making me crazy not matter how much i revise i never get it
What parts don't you get?
sucess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rational Paradox)
What parts don't you get?
dynamics and statics
Bakasplitz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sucess)
dynamics and statics
Vectors are surely harder, i cannot get my head around vectors whereas i can easily do statics o:
iLurch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mechanics is pretty straight forward and for me it sorta clicked after a while but the thing i still have some hang ups on is circular motion with varying speeds, just oen of those things. Overall i'd say they're p[pretty equal. Not exactly easy but not particularly hard either with enough application.
sucess
Rep:
?
(Original post by iLurch)
Mechanics is pretty straight forward and for me it sorta clicked after a while but the thing i still have some hang ups on is circular motion with varying speeds, just oen of those things. Overall i'd say they're p[pretty equal. Not exactly easy but not particularly hard either with enough application.
me its the wording of some questions especially the ones that require you to draw diagrams

(Original post by Bakasplitz)
Vectors are surely harder, i cannot get my head around vectors whereas i can easily do statics o:
i get vectors but i doubt i will understand dynamics and statics in time for the exam
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The M1 exam was harder than the M2 exam for me (though I did better in the M1 exam owing to lower grade boundaries). Most people did better in M2 at my sixth form too.

Took longer for the penny to drop for M1, but for M2 it was literally just about doing as many questions as possible. Nothing too difficult.
iLurch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The main thing with diagrams is that they are to help you, just think through it logically and remember that for an object in equillibrium the forces horizontally and vertically must be balanced. And if it then moves just think what could make it move. Mechanics is all real world so its just thinking it through.
chaz1992
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It'll probably be a nightmare for teachers to teach (M1) from next year as I heard they're getting rid of vectors in the new GCSE syllabus
iLurch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chaz1992)
It'll probably be a nightmare for teachers to teach (M1) from next year as I heard they're getting rid of vectors in the new GCSE syllabus
Wow for real?that will make alot of stuff at a level harder, a basic introduction in year11 saves so much time for more in depth topics later on.
Lukedavidhopkins1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chaz1992)
If thats true that's a terrible decision OP I'd have to say M2 is obviously going to be the harder unit as it requires more maths from C3 and C4. However, M1 takes some people longer to understand as they need to get used to the basic concepts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.69%
No - but I will (100)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (622)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise