Studying Arabic language at UCL Watch

ranut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello there peeps. I may well be going to UCL hopefully if I get an offer soon and I was wondering has anyone here studied Arabic language at the language centre part-time courses from 7-9 in the evenings? I want to start as a beginner as I may well have free time on my hands and it would be useful to learn this language as I may well be returning back to the middle-east when I finish my masters. What can I be expect to learning? Is it difficult? Any feedback would be helpful!
The Blind Monk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anecdotally (I don't do arabic) the teaching at SOAS is much better.
Ivanka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Blind Monk)
Why do you think so? (I'm asking because I hold an offer for Language and Culture at UCL, with a module in Arabic, and students of the course have an access to SOAS's facilities - not sure about teaching though.)
wizz_kid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Blind Monk)
Do current UCL students have an option of taking courses from SOAS?
ranut
Rep:
?
If I were to take an Arabic course the times surely wouldn't interfere with my master's studies would they?
The Blind Monk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UCL students in most courses have electives that they're allowed to take at SOAS. Not 100% sure about engineering departments but definitely for history, ESPS etc.

I've been told by a friend who's done Arabic at both UCL and SOAS that the teaching is much better at SOAS. I can't comment too much more than that.
ranut
Rep:
?
Can someone tell me how easy it is to adapt to this language course? What the times are like?
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ranut)
Can someone tell me how easy it is to adapt to this language course? What the times are like?
I know people who take courses in the evenings... One of my friends is doing Russian at the language centre. Other do them during the day... I guess it depends...
KatieRhiannon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ive had my offer for Archaeology and would also be interested in starting a beginners course in Arabic if anyone has any information.
ranut
Rep:
?
I want some info too Katie, we may be on the same course!
The Blind Monk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KatieRhiannon)
Ive had my offer for Archaeology and would also be interested in starting a beginners course in Arabic if anyone has any information.
It is probable that you will have an elective module. You can take arabic with this. If not, there are evening classes at the UCL language centre.
mir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any idea how much these evening course would cost? I would love to learn a language while I'm at UCL
dakyras
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mir)
Any idea how much these evening course would cost? I would love to learn a language while I'm at UCL
I was looking at doing French and Japanese as evening courses (I have polyglotal aspirations) in 2011/12, and I'm fairly certain for UCL students it's £130 for 10 weeks of evening classes per language, one class a week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (517)
37.63%
No - but I will (107)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (94)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise