I'm wondering if I should apply to uni in the UK Watch

Miss G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Up until a few weeks ago, I didn't know I would have to decide the country I was going to be studying at so that I prepare myself better for it and choose the correct subjects and meet the right requirements! I had been considering the UK, among other countries.

Now, don't get me wrong, the UK is a beautiful place from what I've seen. I went to a college fair and fell in love with Aberdeen. I would LOVE to come study here in a couple of years. There is just ONE thing that worries me. I live in an international community (Dubai) and everyone here is friends with people from all over the world, and their places of origin do not matter as long as we get along. I have friends from every continent on the planet, and a lot of friends from the UK too, part of the reason I'm considering it. However, what's it like there? Are people willing to be friends with people regardless of where they come from, or does everyone tend to form little cliques? I don't know if I could live in a place where I was judged based on where I come from (I'm originally Bulgarian) and not based on who I am. So what's it like? I hope I haven't offended anyone in any way because that was certainly not my intention!
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everyone's cool over here. There are students from all over the place and everyone is welcome.
Gemzaar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The majority of Universities have high amounts of international students so I'm sure you would feel ok in UK. For me, I wouldn't judge anyone just because of the country, people will probably be very friendly as for me, I love to get to know people from other countries to find about their culture so I wouldn't worry. :]
Folie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll be fine. If anything, people will think it's pretty cool that you're from Bulgaria and you've lived in Dubai makes you sound interesting. Wherever you go, there'll be plenty of international students, so you won't be the only one. Plus even home students will be from a variety of different backgrounds. I think you'll find the majority of students to be very welcoming.
Miss G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks guys! That made me feel so much better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads