Foundation course @ strong uni and Oxbridge thereafter? Watch

Romanos
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey there,

So here's the deal. I'm a Greek student and I want to study in the UK. I've considered many unis and, quite expectedly, I want very badly to study in Oxford or Cambridge.

However, both unis have extremely hard requirements, which is understandable, but for a number of reasons they seem unfair to me. (explanations would require me to explain the whole Greek educational system)

Consequently, I've been thinking of studying a Foundation course in a very good uni (UCL, KCL, possibly QMUL). Is there any possibility any of the two unis will accept a foundation course (given one has very good grades, ofc) for an undergraduate degree?

Ps. I'm hopefully going to study either a History and/or Politcs-related course.
Romanos
Rep:
?
Should I take this as a 'no way'?
alexmsf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Romanos)
Should I take this as a 'no way'?
HI there, fellow Greek student here. Would you mind telling what subject you aim for? I got cases of friends that got accepted to Imperial and Oxbridge through the Greek educational system, but many of them were asked for the STEP. (You could prepare for that) This is of course for Mathematics-related degrees (Natural Sciences, Maths, CS, Engineering). Just out of curiosity, what grade are they asking out of the Greek system? (I am guessing 19-20 in general).

The sad truth is that the Greek system does not work with boundaries, and that means grades cannot be compared throughout the years. A 20 in 2010 may mean something completely different than a 20 in 1999. That is why they are not highly regarded by universities.

My advice would be to not only aim at Oxbridge, as even through foundation course, it would be really difficult to get accepted. If you REALLY want to study there, you could do it at a postgraduate level.

Sorry for the wordy response
Romanos
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply! (apagorevontai ta Ellhnika? :P)

I aom for either Law or History/Politics, but not exclusively in Oxbridge. Cambridge colleges require a 19-19.5 in the Apolytirion, while Oxford also requires 2 A-levels. Getting such a grade in the Apolytirion is almost insanely difficult, as this is not just about the Panellinies (which are either way really, really difficult to get such grades), but all 12 subjects.

I plan to go there at postgraduate level, if possible, but I really want to know about the foundation thingy.
Romanos
Rep:
?
So, nobody can give an answer?
qwertyuiop1993
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oxbridge don't allow transfer students from other universities. If you want to get in, you'll have to apply directly for first year entry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads