Psychology placements for a sandwich year Watch

Squirtish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey

Okay, So at the moment, I'm at Loughborough Uni doing Psychology with a placement year (duh).

I'm currently just coming up to the end of my first year, so I know I'm quite early to be considering what to do and where to go, but everyone knows that psychology is ridiculously popular. And surprise surprise, I wanna go into the clinical side (whatta sheep). So... i think it'll pay in the long term to have an idea of what's around, even if i can't apply in a few months time.

Sooooo... does anyone have any idea of the kind of placements are avaiable? I know that's there's The Samaritans, ChildLine, local hospitals, etc. around, but I'm already apply for them to volunteer at in the summer. Also from what I'm assuming about placements for sandwich years is that they're less like... volunteer work (even though I won't get paid). But.. yeah... that's just what i've heard. But can you literally do any volunteer work for your placement year?

My personal tutor isn't really helpful, shockingly.

Any info is great... it'd be even better if you're form Loughborough too, just because we get a Diploma of Study (or something) at the end of our placemements so I dunno if certain requirements are needed?

Thaaaaaaaanks
rosiegarden
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When I was at school I did work experience in an all-boys school for boys with behavioural difficulties and things such as autism and aspergers and it was really interesting. I didn't need a CRB check because I was only 15 but you probably would, but if there are any schools around maybe write to them and find out more about it?
Squirtish
Rep:
?
(Original post by rosiegarden)
When I was at school I did work experience in an all-boys school for boys with behavioural difficulties and things such as autism and aspergers and it was really interesting. I didn't need a CRB check because I was only 15 but you probably would, but if there are any schools around maybe write to them and find out more about it?

Thanks for the tip, but I dunno if that'd count towards my placement. I don't think it's actually enough for me to just do any voluntry work... I reckon I have to go through my uni and everything? Plus I'm looking more at clinical work rather than schools. I can't stand kids/youths haha!
But thanks for the advice, it's helpful for people looking into that
rosiegarden
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aw well, I don't really know anything about psychology degrees
Maybe your uni will have a list of placements that other people have done in previous years? Or maybe you could try and contact people who have already done their placement year to find out where they went and that way you'd also get some first-hand advice and opinions on how valuable the experience was.
EmersonDrain
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Isn't there a placements bod in the undergraduate office? Usually is in departments where you have a placement year. Alternatively I'd see if the uni's careers service are up to much - they seem to vary massively between universities but they may be able to help you.
Squirtish
Rep:
?
(Original post by rosiegarden)
Aw well, I don't really know anything about psychology degrees
Maybe your uni will have a list of placements that other people have done in previous years? Or maybe you could try and contact people who have already done their placement year to find out where they went and that way you'd also get some first-hand advice and opinions on how valuable the experience was.
When I visited Uni of Bath for an open day, they showed me a massive file of placements around the world that their students have been on, but Loughborough doesn't seem to have that... Unless they whip it out in your second year when you actually apply.

(Original post by EmersonDrain)
Isn't there a placements bod in the undergraduate office? Usually is in departments where you have a placement year. Alternatively I'd see if the uni's careers service are up to much - they seem to vary massively between universities but they may be able to help you.
Hmm... I dunno about placements body... The info in the psychology department about it is just general areas people can go into, so prisons and hospitals, etc.
Contacting the careers department is a good idea.. dunno why i haven't though of it before. Here's hoping that they'll be able to help...
fasteddy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This link should help: http://www.oneworld365.org/news/2011...erience-abroad.

Maybe contact medical organisations like Work The World / Gap Medics & they should be able to help you get something set up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads