Surely Cameron should be supporting Nick Clegg? Watch

Dan2009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Surely David Cameron should be supporting Nick Clegg in his campaign for the Alternative vote as without him this illegitimate government wouldn't exist in the first place?

Nick Clegg had to make a total U turn on his once free tuition fees promise for the sake of this government, I don't see why Cameron can't do the same with regards to AV?
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
Because Cameron is doing the Lib Dems a favour by allowing them to be in power because their pathetic little party will never be in government off their own back. And joining with labour would have made a minority government which would just make their job and Labours job more difficult
Dan2009
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Genocidal)
Because Cameron is doing the Lib Dems a favour by allowing them to be in power because their pathetic little party will never be in government off their own back. And joining with labour would have made a minority government which would just make their job and Labours job more difficult
It's a coalition! One part doesn't exist without the other, the Conservatives didn't get a big enough majority to rule on their own and are only in power because they are being propped up by the Lib Dems.

The Tories are only in power because of the Lib Dems and the Lib Dems are only in power because of the Tories, one doesn't exist without the other.
ijscott
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The fact that it is a coalition doesn't mean the two political parties have to agree on everything. If the conservatives believe that the AV system isn't beneficial for the country, they do not have to promote it. What would be wrong would be if the conservatives were against the AV system, as this would look very bad.

The fact that Nick Clegg and the Lib Dem's decided to change their mind on the tuition fee's was down to them, but as I said in regards to whether the Conservatives would oppose the AV system, if the Lib Dem's would have gone against the tuition fee rise, it would have looked very bad.

The difference between the two is the fact that the AV system is a public referendum, as oppose to the tuition fee's being a vote of parliament.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dan2009)
Surely David Cameron should be supporting Nick Clegg in his campaign for the Alternative vote as without him this illegitimate government wouldn't exist in the first place?

Nick Clegg had to make a total U turn on his once free tuition fees promise for the sake of this government, I don't see why Cameron can't do the same with regards to AV?
Someone does not understand how UK governments work
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because (and it chokes me to say it) Cameron has more morals than that.

Spoiler:
Show
Also, a purely Tory government wouldn't be illegitimate.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's not how the coalition works. Otherwise you could just say that about absolutely anything. "Nick Clegg wants to shag Samantha Cameron? Well David should let him, because he wouldn't be in power without him." If David just let Nick Clegg blackmail him into doing anything he wanted then it would look completely stupid, because David Cameron would be siding with the Lib Dems all the time and going against his own party...
dean01234
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
its the lib dems that would have benefited from the AV,

judging by polls and stuff, its likely the libs would have won under the AV.

yet they came 3rd?? not particularly fair but obvious why cleggy is behind the AV.

also, shoe on the other foot, why isn't clegg supporting cameron who is opposed to the AV
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dean01234)
its the lib dems that would have benefited from the AV,

judging by polls and stuff, its likely the libs would have won under the AV.

yet they came 3rd?? not particularly fair but obvious why cleggy is behind the AV.

also, shoe on the other foot, why isn't clegg supporting cameron who is opposed to the AV
Actually they would have gotten 34 seats extra.
LethalBizzle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Campaigning against each other was part of the coalition agreement, simples.
Llamageddon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a coalition! One part doesn't exist without the other, the Conservatives didn't get a big enough majority to rule on their own and are only in power because they are being propped up by the Lib Dems.

The Tories are only in power because of the Lib Dems and the Lib Dems are only in power because of the Tories, one doesn't exist without the other.
A back bench rebellion by the conservatives will screw over a policy. One by the lib dems will do sweet FA.

They are not equal partners. For every 7 coalition seats in parliament, 6 are sat on by a conservative. Their influence on policy should be proportional to this.
-2D-
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

The lib dems didn't support the tuition fee raise more voted against it than for 27 out of 59 against and only the lib dem ministers and a few other lib dem mps voted for it
insignificant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha my recent ministerial responsibility exam was partially based on this basically they are allowed to disagree, it's an exception to the rule of collective ministerial responsibility.
Stanley Baldwin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hmm...

Why is this government 'illegitimate'? Is it because it isn't a Labour-Liberal Coalition? No party got a majority, thus a coalition was needed.

And Cameron opposes AV because he does - he isn't (Gordon Brown-style) going to change his principles to suit the short-term.

This coalition is a COALITION - it is a partnership of two parties which are quite distinct entities.

Some Labourites simply cannot think properly - based on this.
marfeljobs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What Suprises me about Clegg is how universally hated he is. Have you guys seen the Nick Clegg rap? Its sums things up rather amusingly

Will Lucky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Yeah, Clegg did a U-turn on Tuition Fees, Cameron did a U-turn on a referendum for AV. Doesn't mean he has to support it. And as long as the Lib Dems are polling single figures he has them right where he wants them, they won't leave for fear of electoral wipeout.
SillyString
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cameron letting Clegg have his way doesn't ever seem likely.
Clegg is only there because Conservatives needed Lib Dems to form the coalition.. because I don't think a Lab-Con government would ever have been possible.
Clegg has lost out in the coalition. Cameron and the Conservatives have the power in this relationship.
It was never really a balanced relationship to begin with. Clegg gets his way on extremely minor policies but on larger decisions, they have differing opinions and the one who 'yells the loudest' will probably win.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.43%
No - but I will (25)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (218)
48.02%

Watched Threads