The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Three Mile Sprint

Exactly, im one of the few Western Buddhist's I know, who doesn't seem offended by the notion that Buddhism is more than just a Philosophy, I recognise and revere my Bodhisattva's and Deva's quite nicely.

It's kind of sad that im the only really active Buddhist here though.

For some reason, I think a lot of people don't really view Buddhism as a pagan religion- probably because it is a recognised religion, and much of the general public seem to think that paganism is another term for satanism. The product of years of Christian indoctrination! :P
Original post by Teao the Cat
For some reason, I think a lot of people don't really view Buddhism as a pagan religion- probably because it is a recognised religion, and much of the general public seem to think that paganism is another term for satanism. The product of years of Christian indoctrination! :P

Yay :frown:
Reply 302
Hi guys :smile:
I just had a week of Hellenic heaven looking at ancient temples :teehee: And my hand luggage got searched because I had a statue of Athena all wrapped up so it didn't get broken and they thought it was suspicious!
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but it was only through this thread that I've learnt that Buddhism is a pagan religion. I like the idea of Buddhism anyway, I've never had any problems with it :h:.
Original post by joanna-eve
Hi guys :smile:
I just had a week of Hellenic heaven looking at ancient temples :teehee: And my hand luggage got searched because I had a statue of Athena all wrapped up so it didn't get broken and they thought it was suspicious!

Sorry, I really shouldn't laugh :mmm:.
Lucky you seeing the temples! I'm so jealous :mad:
Good luck with your AS results tomorrow by the way :smile:.
Reply 304

Original post by Pandora.
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but it was only through this thread that I've learnt that Buddhism is a pagan religion. I like the idea of Buddhism anyway, I've never had any problems with it :h:.

Buddhism is a strange one. Technically, it is pagan, because it's both non-Abrahamic (which is the Christian definition of pagan) and it's also polytheistic (the rest of the world's definition), in theory. However, the worship of Buddha and the Devas is a point of theological debate in Buddhism, because it doesn't actually advocate the worship of these beings, even though in reality, they do get worshipped.
Reply 305
Sorry, I really shouldn't laugh :mmm:.
Lucky you seeing the temples! I'm so jealous :mad:
Good luck with your AS results tomorrow by the way :smile:.

It is quite funny :L I thought they thought I had a bomb in there or something and it was only a statue :lol: I reeeealllly want to go to the Parthenon but we only went to Thassos and not Athens :/
I'm waiting for my GCSE results but I appreciate the sentiment :teehee:
It is quite funny :L I thought they thought I had a bomb in there or something and it was only a statue :lol: I reeeealllly want to go to the Parthenon but we only went to Thassos and not Athens :/
I'm waiting for my GCSE results but I appreciate the sentiment :teehee:

:facepalm: I read your sig saying 2013 and got my years mixed up :lol:
I'm waiting for some GCSEs too, so good luck :biggrin:.
Reply 307
:facepalm: I read your sig saying 2013 and got my years mixed up :lol:
I'm waiting for some GCSEs too, so good luck :biggrin:.

It says in my sig "currently awaiting GCSE results :eek:" ! Good luck to you too :smile:
It says in my sig "currently awaiting GCSE results :eek:" ! Good luck to you too :smile:

Selective vision :lol: Thanks :h:.
Reply 309
pagan yatts.
Reply 310
Selective vision :lol: Thanks :h:.

Haha!
And about your sig, :five: I just read the Hobbit yesterday and Emma a couple of days ago :h:
Reply 311
Original post by RoadRap
pagan yatts.

What is "yatts"?
Haha!
And about your sig, :five: I just read the Hobbit yesterday and Emma a couple of days ago :h:

The Hobbit is brilliant, I love it! I really want to read Emma but I she didn't come across very well in a TV adaptation I watched. Did you like the book?
Reply 313
The Hobbit is brilliant, I love it! I really want to read Emma but I she didn't come across very well in a TV adaptation I watched. Did you like the book?

It's soooo much easier than LOTR which took me forever to read! :teehee: Emma is amazing! Although not much happens for quite a while and then lots towards the end...according to my blurb it has been described as Austen's most perfect novel! I think next on my reading list is either Sense & Sensibility or Dr Zhivago which is completely different to what we have been discussing but I recently fell in love with Russia all over again :woo:
Reply 314
Exactly, im one of the few Western Buddhist's I know, who doesn't seem offended by the notion that Buddhism is more than just a Philosophy, I recognise and revere my Bodhisattva's and Deva's quite nicely.

It's kind of sad that im the only really active Buddhist here though.

Original post by Hylean
Buddhism is a strange one. Technically, it is pagan, because it's both non-Abrahamic (which is the Christian definition of pagan) and it's also polytheistic (the rest of the world's definition), in theory. However, the worship of Buddha and the Devas is a point of theological debate in Buddhism, because it doesn't actually advocate the worship of these beings, even though in reality, they do get worshipped.

There's a distinction between faith and religion. I have faith in the Buddha, but I don't feel part of a religion, and I still count myself as an atheist as well as a Buddhist. It's a really tricky question because in my view nobody believes in nothing. Everyone has faith in something... for some it might be Jesus or money or their ego, for me it happens to be universal Buddha-nature. So to distinguish between those that have faith and those who don't feels like a false dichotomy.

The more "religious" aspects of Buddhism like the Devas, the Maitreya Buddha, even to some extent Nirvana and Karma.. I struggle with them and they sit uneasily with my atheism. I am very ignorant, they are important parts of Buddhist doctrine, and so I don't dismiss them outright, but there is a conflict. I can accept them as metaphor in the same way as I can accept some Christian teachings as metaphor, but that's not quite the same as believing in them. It's probably one of the reasons why I follow the Zen tradition as it has far less of a focus on the Bodhisattvas and sutras than other branches. Just sitting in zazen is enough to attain enlightenment, according to the Zen way. Is that a religion?

Bearing in mind that it's also problematic to say "Buddhism is this or that" when there are so many different branches or schools. Tantric Buddhism is very different to Soto Zen which is very different to Pure Land and so on.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's soooo much easier than LOTR which took me forever to read! :teehee: Emma is amazing! Although not much happens for quite a while and then lots towards the end...according to my blurb it has been described as Austen's most perfect novel! I think next on my reading list is either Sense & Sensibility or Dr Zhivago which is completely different to what we have been discussing but I recently fell in love with Russia all over again :woo:

I'm plowing through TFOTR... I just wish it would revert to The Hobbit language :lol:. There's just so much description! Brilliant story though.
I'll definately try and find a copy of Emma, and hopefully Sense and Sensibility. I'll look into Dr Zhivago, never really considered reading it before :smile:.
Reply 316
I'm plowing through TFOTR... I just wish it would revert to The Hobbit language :lol:. There's just so much description! Brilliant story though.
I'll definately try and find a copy of Emma, and hopefully Sense and Sensibility. I'll look into Dr Zhivago, never really considered reading it before :smile:.

I thought the Hobbit would be really hard because I read it afterwards but was pleasantly surprised...it kind of makes you think if he could write in such an easy way to understand then WHY DIDN'T HE?!?! :teehee: And I love how the Hobbit has the ring in! Have you read any other Austen apart from P&P?
Dr Zhivago won Pasternak the Nobel Prize for Literature :zomg:
Reply 317
Lord of the Rings is an amazing book, though.
I thought the Hobbit would be really hard because I read it afterwards but was pleasantly surprised...it kind of makes you think if he could write in such an easy way to understand then WHY DIDN'T HE?!?! :teehee: And I love how the Hobbit has the ring in! Have you read any other Austen apart from P&P?
Dr Zhivago won Pasternak the Nobel Prize for Literature :zomg:

No, but I really want to. I've heard Persuasion is brilliant, and Northanger Abbey appeals. The only one I've not-so-great things about is Mansfield Park, but of course I like to form my own opinion :smile:. Which Austne novels have you read?
Original post by Hylean
Lord of the Rings is an amazing book, though.

Indeed. It took me a while to get into it, but it is so so worth it.
Original post by imomo16
There's a distinction between faith and religion. I have faith in the Buddha, but I don't feel part of a religion, and I still count myself as an atheist as well as a Buddhist. It's a really tricky question because in my view nobody believes in nothing. Everyone has faith in something... for some it might be Jesus or money or their ego, for me it happens to be universal Buddha-nature. So to distinguish between those that have faith and those who don't feels like a false dichotomy.

The more "religious" aspects of Buddhism like the Devas, the Maitreya Buddha, even to some extent Nirvana and Karma.. I struggle with them and they sit uneasily with my atheism. I am very ignorant, they are important parts of Buddhist doctrine, and so I don't dismiss them outright, but there is a conflict. I can accept them as metaphor in the same way as I can accept some Christian teachings as metaphor, but that's not quite the same as believing in them. It's probably one of the reasons why I follow the Zen tradition as it has far less of a focus on the Bodhisattvas and sutras than other branches. Just sitting in zazen is enough to attain enlightenment, according to the Zen way. Is that a religion?

Bearing in mind that it's also problematic to say "Buddhism is this or that" when there are so many different branches or schools. Tantric Buddhism is very different to Soto Zen which is very different to Pure Land and so on.

Which is the beauty, as Buddhism can accomodate Theists and Atheists alike depending on which interpretation and sect you wish to follow.

And while I appreciate that it can be difficult to accurately label Buddhism because of the varied traditions and practices, even the most "Atheistic"(for want of a better term) Buddhist tradition still very firmly falls into the category of Religion by nature of it's varying component parts, and by extension as Pagan under the same term's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending