TSR Pagan Society Watch

DeathGuardElite
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EvaStarshine)
Gotta love South Park! I've stopped watching until I've watched Game of Thrones, cause I didn't want to spoil more for myself than the first GoT themed episode did XD. I have thank you, I hope you have too

I'm undecided, as I'm still researching and trying to work it all out. I think I'll end up being eclectic, since I tend to like bits of all the various traditions and such I read about, but not like everything about them. Only thing I'm sure on is that I favour the Egyptian Pantheon XD I do like Wicca, and by chance most of the information I have seems to be about it, but I don't feel like it's quite right for me.

Setting my altar up now just feels like good timing, I can keep what I have gathered together in one spot and I have been doing a little candle based ritual before my exams since Year 11, and it'd be lovely to have a proper place to do it this time round I figured my altar and can change and adapt as I work out my beliefs and everything.
Ah i see :P

well you should do research
EvaStarshine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DeathGuardElite)
Ah i see :P

well you should do research
Slowly but surely I'm learning more. It's what I do in my free time from uni work, I find it quite relaxing ^_^
DeathGuardElite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Slowly but surely I'm learning more. It's what I do in my free time from uni work, I find it quite relaxing ^_^
you defo aint like me XD

I spend every waking moment gaining knowledge :P
EvaStarshine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you defo aint like me XD

I spend every waking moment gaining knowledge :P
If only I could :'( It's third year though, and free time feels practically non-existent. Bring on the gap year :3
Hravan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello all,

I've decided to put a little altar in my room (seemed like a good time since I recently managed to clean out some old stuff and get a bunch new space) and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Firstly, whilst I've found most of what I want there are a few things which I'm either having trouble with or are too expensive when I have found them and I just wondered what you guys use as alternatives (E.g. I have a nice wine glass I'm using as a chalice, and a mini ice bucket as a cauldron to put burning paper in until I have the cash to get a nice cast-iron on). The specific objects are: An athame, a boline and a pentacle. The latter isn't hard to find, so much as it seems a little expensive to get a larger one, as opposed to one of the little necklace charms. Could I just make my own by printing a design on onto some paper or card?

Secondly, just out of interest what do you guys have on your altars? I know everyone here will have different beliefs and interests, and it'd just be interesting to me to hear about it, if people are willing to share.

Thank you
You really do not need to spend masses of money for things. For me, if I'm going to need tools I'll just use whatever I have to hand but that's my own beliefs; some people like having consecrated tools. I do have two athames, I've never used them. Never had a boline either. If I want a knife, I grab one from the kitchen.

The thing I would ask, why do you want those items for your altar? What is your path, do you know?
I did spend masses of money buying all sorts of tools and altar items because books and websites told me I would need them. I didn't need them, never used them and most are shoved in a drawer now.

My altar has two candles, a few drawings and items to represent deities, a wand a close friend made for me (although I don't use it), and then just seashells and stones etc from important places to me.
DeathGuardElite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hravan)
You really do not need to spend masses of money for things. For me, if I'm going to need tools I'll just use whatever I have to hand but that's my own beliefs; some people like having consecrated tools. I do have two athames, I've never used them. Never had a boline either. If I want a knife, I grab one from the kitchen.

The thing I would ask, why do you want those items for your altar? What is your path, do you know?
I did spend masses of money buying all sorts of tools and altar items because books and websites told me I would need them. I didn't need them, never used them and most are shoved in a drawer now.

My altar has two candles, a few drawings and items to represent deities, a wand a close friend made for me (although I don't use it), and then just seashells and stones etc from important places to me.
Hey would it be ok if i made you the head of the Pagan Society? :P

I believe you'd do a better job than I.
Hravan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey would it be ok if i made you the head of the Pagan Society? :P

I believe you'd do a better job than I.
If you really want to, then yes you can.
DeathGuardElite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you really want to, then yes you can.
I feel we should be led by one of our best rather than our darkest.
Hravan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel we should be led by one of our best rather than our darkest.
I like dark

I've made you a deputy.
DeathGuardElite
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like dark

I've made you a deputy.
wooo! XD

thank you :3

btw I lost all of my recording software for the videos i used to post due to a hard drive melt down.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well this place has been quiet for a while...

Does anyone follow the norse gods? I've been reading the old stories and they just feel right, so I'm strongly considering it, but beyond the stories I don't really know much, if anything, about norse paganism so I was wondering if anyone could lend a hand.
Three Mile Sprint
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)

Does anyone follow the norse gods? I've been reading the old stories and they just feel right, so I'm strongly considering it, but beyond the stories I don't really know much, if anything, about norse paganism so I was wondering if anyone could lend a hand.
Yo I (unsurprisingly) dabbled in Asatru for a while, attended a few group retreats etc.

Your best bet, would be to join a few of the internet communities that are about, there are actually a few good Asatru(uk and international) FB pages.

At the moment the movement is going through a serious historical accuracy drive, trying to find out as much as possible about the historical validity and practice of Norse Paganism and then applying it in a modern and practical method(what they presume may have taken place if the faith had been allowed to grow naturally).
DeathGuardElite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Astaru?
Well i could help you in learning about it but i don't do it personally :P
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
Yo I (unsurprisingly) dabbled in Asatru for a while, attended a few group retreats etc.

Your best bet, would be to join a few of the internet communities that are about, there are actually a few good Asatru(uk and international) FB pages.

At the moment the movement is going through a serious historical accuracy drive, trying to find out as much as possible about the historical validity and practice of Norse Paganism and then applying it in a modern and practical method(what they presume may have taken place if the faith had been allowed to grow naturally).
I'm not surprised at that in the slightest - is there a religion you haven't dabbled in?

Sounds a sensible bet - any you recommend? My one concern is I know there are some sections of asatru that have a white supremacy air to it - I'd rather avoid that if at all possible, white supremacy doesn't sit right with me.

Astaru?
Well i could help you in learning about it but i don't do it personally :P
Yep, I'm mostly looking at how it's practised to work out whether it's right for me.
Three Mile Sprint
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not surprised at that in the slightest - is there a religion you haven't dabbled in?
Oh there are a few.
I would like to go on record that "dabble" does not require I commit or believe.
Sounds a sensible bet - any you recommend? My one concern is I know there are some sections of asatru that have a white supremacy air to it - I'd rather avoid that if at all possible, white supremacy doesn't sit right with me.
The WS are easy to spot, just avoid groups which call themselves "Odinist" or "Folkish"(not always, but 99%)

Just Google around my man, you will quick find groups.

Yep, I'm mostly looking at how it's practised to work out whether it's right for me.
Practice varies, some groups still do animal sacrifices(then eat the meat) some offer more "modern" gifts, others view it as a pantheistic honour code.
As with most Pagan-Revival movement there is no consensus.
DeathGuardElite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Well its also easy to find info on too like you about.com can give you info and so can some other sites
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
Oh there are a few.
I would like to go on record that "dabble" does not require I commit or believe.

The WS are easy to spot, just avoid groups which call themselves "Odinist" or "Folkish"(not always, but 99%)

Just Google around my man, you will quick find groups.

Practice varies, some groups still do animal sacrifices(then eat the meat) some offer more "modern" gifts, others view it as a pantheistic honour code.
As with most Pagan-Revival movement there is no consensus.
Cheers, I've found a couple of pagan forums, I'd guess they'd be a safe place to start.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i am skyclad
DeathGuardElite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My Alter guys well Atm I just need one more item then its ready
DeathGuardElite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys :P

(Original post by beautifulxxx)
Cause you asked questions about Paganism and i didn't answer fully or you didn't see them i can answer them. well i can answer them here :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads