The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joanna-eve
Thank you :smile: What are your beliefs?

To bo perfectly honest, I'm not sure. I don't believe in the God & Goddess in a traditional sense, more that I use them as a metaphor for different emotions/wishes/prayers etc. Sorry if that sounds confusing :colondollar: I'd prefer to use a pantheon to express these feelings, but I'm not sure which one (probably Greek or Celtic). I know this might sounds stupid/non traditional, but my heart's not in fully believing in a God (As much as I'd want to), so I like to use deities as metaphors for what I said above.

I fully believe in nature and the Earth as something to be worshipped though, and I celebrate the Wheel of the Year (even if I can't do that to the extent I want just yet). I just feel that Paganism fits my thoughts and feelings best, and I like the flexibility of it, so I can sort of 'tailor' it to my own life, if you know what I mean. :smile:
That's not stupid at all! It sounds very sensible actually haha. I think beliefs evolve as you get older as well so it's perfectly normal to not be sure. I don't know how to reply to the rest except :five:

Haha, :five: to you too! :biggrin:
Reply 122
hello everyone :smile:

Just wanted to wish you all a happy solstice/Litha/midsummer :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, happy midsummer everyone! Any plans for celebration?
Happy Solstice/Litha/Midsummer everyone :tongue:
No plans for celebration, not much you can do with a house full of agnostics/Christians :frown::tongue:
Waeshael and a belated happy Litha/Summer Solstice to you all.

I'm a Heathen (Northern Tradition Pagan), I follow the Anglo Saxon/Norse gods, though as a hard polytheist I believe all gods exist. For me each of the gods have their areas of responsibility and their own roles to play, as do the Alfar (elves), Wights (spirits of the land) and of course the ancestors.

Magick has been asked about, yes I do believe in and practice it, I've seen and felt the effects of spells cast by myself and by others.

From the age of three Loki has been in my life in some form, it took me many years to realise this and to acknowledge him, my path to Heathenry being a slow one full of twists and turns.

Though nominally being brought up Christian and sent to a C of E primary school, which put me off of Christianity from a very early age, having first hand experienced the hypocrisy of the organized church throughout my time there.

Before there are any complaints, let me say that I know many and have no problems at all with any what I call true Christians because they actually live their beliefs.

Raven
Reply 126
Original post by Storm_Raven
Waeshael and a belated happy Litha/Summer Solstice to you all.

I'm a Heathen (Northern Tradition Pagan), I follow the Anglo Saxon/Norse gods, though as a hard polytheist I believe all gods exist. For me each of the gods have their areas of responsibility and their own roles to play, as do the Alfar (elves), Wights (spirits of the land) and of course the ancestors.

Magick has been asked about, yes I do believe in and practice it, I've seen and felt the effects of spells cast by myself and by others.

From the age of three Loki has been in my life in some form, it took me many years to realise this and to acknowledge him, my path to Heathenry being a slow one full of twists and turns.

Though nominally being brought up Christian and sent to a C of E primary school, which put me off of Christianity from a very early age, having first hand experienced the hypocrisy of the organized church throughout my time there.

Before there are any complaints, let me say that I know many and have no problems at all with any what I call true Christians because they actually live their beliefs.

Raven

Why do you spell it "magick"?

Why Loki, of all beings? After all, he will lead the jötnar against the Æsir in Ragnarök and is generally considered an enemy of the Norse Gods. When dealing with the "Northern Tradition", what are your sources?

I'm not attacking, but I am curious.
Original post by BombshellBabe
Nature did not reject or judge, and it was beautiful and all-loving. And what's more, nature doesn't exactly care about sex before marriage or even homosexuality, because it is all natural :L So my curent beliefs centre around nature, its cycles, its balance, its purity, its power and its love :smile:

This is basically the same as me. All my life I've been "sensitive" or what have you to spirits- I can't see them or anything like mediums can, I just know there's something there. And I also believe that the Universe is the true power, so I'm kinda an atheist-scientist-pagan xD Tl,dr; I'm strange xD
Reply 128
Original post by Jake200493
This is basically the same as me. All my life I've been "sensitive" or what have you to spirits- I can't see them or anything like mediums can, I just know there's something there. And I also believe that the Universe is the true power, so I'm kinda an atheist-scientist-pagan xD Tl,dr; I'm strange xD

I don't see how atheist or scientist come into it. Atheism is the rejection of the supernatural and science is based on observational empirical evidence, and feeling 'sensitive' is neither objectively observational or empirical.

Sounds like you're a pantheist who has sporadic hypoglycaemia or some form of psychosis.
Reply 129
Original post by Keckers
I don't see how atheist or scientist come into it. Atheism is the rejection of the supernatural and science is based on observational empirical evidence, and feeling 'sensitive' is neither objectively observational or empirical.

Sounds like you're a pantheist who has sporadic hypoglycaemia or some form of psychosis.

Atheism isn't the rejection of the supernatural, at all. Taken at its strictest meaning, atheism is the opposite of theism, in that they believe no higher being exists. In its modern usage, as shown by many debates on TSR, atheism is closer to agnosticism in that it argues there is no proof of a higher being and thus there is none, but opinion can be changed if proof found. One can be an atheist and believe in ghosts and other "supernatural" phenomena.

As for your snide comment about hypoglycaemia or psychosis, was that really necessary?
Original post by Keckers

Actually, atheism is the disbelief in the existence of God or gods, not the supernatural in general. I, personally, have enough evidence of the supernatural to confirm my belief in it.

And I meant scientist in the terms that rather than putting things down to "luck" or "chance" in terms of free will, I would explain it by saying that we don't have free will because the chemical reactions that cause our decisions are still governed by the laws of the Universe. We won't make a decision if the total entropy decreases, therefore we don't have free will. I just have a scientific way of explaining many religious beliefs.

I'm not a pantheist as I don't believe the Universe is "God", I just believe that science (and therefore the universe) is responsible for everything. I'm not suffering from psychosis and my blood glucose levels are fine, but your concern is touching :smile:
Reply 131
I am not a new-ager or wiccan. I am dabbling with the occult and Satanism these days.
Reply 132
Original post by Hylean
Why do you spell it "magick"?

I don't know about Norse paganism, but many people spell it magick to distinguish it from stage magic (card tricks etc) and fantasy magic. I think it started with Aleister Crowley.

Original post by Howard
I am not a new-ager or wiccan. I am dabbling with the occult and Satanism these days.

I don't think using the word dabble is very wise, but whatever floats your boat :wink:
LaVeyan or theistic?
Reply 133
I don't know about Norse paganism, but many people spell it magick to distinguish it from stage magic (card tricks etc) and fantasy magic. I think it started with Aleister Crowley.

I know they do. A silly reason, really, but I was wondering as to his particular reasoning. I reckon it's probably the same, though.

I don't think using the word dabble is very wise, but whatever floats your boat :wink:
LaVeyan or theistic?

One can only hope it's the former.
Reply 134
Original post by Hylean
I know they do. A silly reason, really, but I was wondering as to his particular reasoning. I reckon it's probably the same, though.

I agree. There's never an excuse for misspelling! :angry:

One can only hope it's the former.

Indeed.
Reply 135
I agree. There's never an excuse for misspelling! :angry:

Exactly! Words can mean multiple things and it's just pretentiousness to change the spelling. Smacks of Silver Ravenwolf and her lot.
what's a pagan?
Reply 137

LaVeyan or theistic?

A little of both. LaVeyan principally but open to the reality (or possibility at least) that I am undertaking more than an exercise in self-worshipping psycho-drama. I have my own unique spin on this. That's the beauty of it - no dogmatics. Nobody "owns" it.
Reply 138
Original post by Hylean
Exactly! Words can mean multiple things and it's just pretentiousness to change the spelling. Smacks of Silver Ravenwolf and her lot.

Absolutely. Fluffies tend to be the less ...academically rigorous, I've noticed.
Have you read this article?
Original post by MissOTRmeZemer
what's a pagan?

A person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.
Source: Dictionary xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending