Why can't the cynics let us just be happy? Watch

INeedToLoseWeight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Let's face it, the world these days is full of misery. Poverty, war, disease. So why are some people so quick to put a downer on the one day of the year we can all just be happy, and feel hope? Is this such a crime? Why can't we just have this one day of happiness? Tomorrow it's back to the misery everyone clearly seems to enjoy so much. I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed today, and made the most of Britiain being happy. The world united over the one thing which will always exist, love how could anyone not be happy on a day like this?
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Misery loves company.
ribjib
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i failed my driving test so i deserve to be unhappy :P
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We're British. Not allowed to be cheerful or pleased with ourselves.
ssingh9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
Misery loves company.
Exactly- also, some people are only happy when they're complaining. That's just the way of the world, I suppose.
humanrights
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
Let's face it, the world these days is full of misery. Poverty, war, disease. So why are some people so quick to put a downer on the one day of the year we can all just be happy, and feel hope? Is this such a crime? Why can't we just have this one day of happiness? Tomorrow it's back to the misery everyone clearly seems to enjoy so much. I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed today, and made the most of Britiain being happy. The world united over the one thing which will always exist, love how could anyone not be happy on a day like this?

marxists and left wing types are by definition carpet chewers. they hate everything. the best way to annoy them is to be happy.
Bellrosk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because the cynics haven't been left in peace either, they've had the braindead royalists shoving their **** down their throats for the past few weeks now.
Lewroll
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by INeedToLoseWeight)
Let's face it, the world these days is full of misery. Poverty, war, disease. So why are some people so quick to put a downer on the one day of the year we can all just be happy, and feel hope?
Feel hope for what? As far as I know it was just two people getting married today.
AnJuM218
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jealousy

They know ignorance is bliss
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cynics, like sceptics, are amongst some of the greatest thinkers.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
Thats quite a random claim
jackmyswag
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I swear some people get some twisted sexual thrill out of moaning. It's a wedding, not a day where a law was imposed to allow murder. I'll admit that the constant talk on TV and the radio did get a bit much, but I just turned it off and listened to something else. Why do people get so distressed and act like their lives have been permanently damaged because of it? You have one life as far as we know, make the most if it rather than moaning yourself to death.
CB91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bellrosk)
Because the cynics haven't been left in peace either, they've had the braindead royalists shoving their **** down their throats for the past few weeks now.
This.

I want to do what I want to do, not what the media other people think I should be doing.
hamijack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because **** you, that's why. I can moan and be cynical all I want because I've had two spoilt rich kids wedding poured down my damn throat for god-knows how many month's and quite frankly, I'm sick of it. I have as much right to moan about that as you do to moan about cynics moaning about the royal wedding!
NapoleonDynamite
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
That might be true, but surely the cynics who are just cynical and lack the "Great thinker" element can let it go just for one day?
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a case of thinking the Royal Wedding is a distraction from the government's austerity measures, an exercise in the continuation in deference to the Monarchy and a waste of money.

It's not a case of "letting people be happy" so much as it is about having the voice of dissent heard. They could silence this dissent for the day itself to "let people be happy" but then it would lose its value somewhat, and Monarchists would criticise them for not voicing their issues on the day itself - thus devaluing any arguments or criticisms they might have.
LauraRawra
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think people should stop moaning about the wedding and shut up basically.
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I completely understand the cynics (although I for one had a lovely day), it's when it's not enough for just them to dislike it, they have to make a massive deal about 'oh all the flag-waving morons', 'those ***** that camped outside the palace', 'I'm burning all my Westwood clothes tomorrow' etc etc. I saw two reasonable facebook updates about their problems with it, a few from people who had a great time, and one person that just went completely mad about making sure everyone knew how idiotic people taking an interest were.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (139)
38.19%
No - but I will (20)
5.49%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
49.18%

Watched Threads