working for MP/Party in the summer Watch

delasandro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I want to enter politics after my degree and i was wondering if it is worth working for any political party as a volunteer or for your local MP for around 2-3 months in the summer? (Currently A2 level student - Uni in September)

How will this help for things like Internships for penultimate uni years - For Foreign office and Civil Service (things like Economics or Foreign policy etc)

Also, are there first year student internships or are they only for penultimate year students?

Thanks for any advice/help in advance
Staker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dunno if you can do it in parliament over summer, as there is a recess soon. But maybe in their local office, ring them and see what you can do.
Little Jules
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should contact your local MP, who will probably be happy to help. As Staker said, recess means that they may be less willing to give you that much work experience in Westminster, but they may be able to offer you something in the local party. You should also look at the site www.w4mp.org which has those kind of jobs and internships.
delasandro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Sorry for the confusion guys, i did actually mean working locally.
Would working locally be worth it if it wasn't actually for my local MP (Liberal Democrat) and instead working for the opposition?
Also, is this a good starting place for future internships/careers or not necessarily?
Cheers for the help so far
Little Jules
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, should be a good starting point. And I guess it will depend how active the party are in your area, but it's always worth asking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.34%
No - but I will (71)
8.06%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (418)
47.45%

Watched Threads