How do you become an Airline Pilot in the UK ?! Watch

pizzapino
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys,

I am a French student and I've been offered a place by the University of Bristol, the University of Bath, the University of Sheffield, the University of Surrey. for an Meng Aeronautical engineering course. And I was which uni to firm ?

Also, I have a few questions concerning the job of civil pilot in the UK.
- How do you become a pilot after having a degree in Aerospace engineering ?
- Is it expensive ?
- Which schools prepare best for this job ? Have links with airline companies... ?

Thank you very much for your help !
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How to become a pilot (from the Independent)

A similar article from the Times

British Airline Pilots Association

Moved to the engineering forum, as this partly focuses on engineering choices, but for advice about become a pilot it might be better in Careers. If you want me to edit the title (something along the lines of "Which uni for aeronautical engineering" and then create a thread in Careers asking how to become a pilot then just let me know.
pizzapino
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by River85)
How to become a pilot (from the Independent)

A similar article from the Times

British Airline Pilots Association

Moved to the engineering forum, as this partly focuses on engineering choices, but for advice about become a pilot it might be better in Careers. If you want me to edit the title (something along the lines of "Which uni for aeronautical engineering" and then create a thread in Careers asking how to become a pilot then just let me know.
Thanks ! I've created a thread in Career.
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got the impression most pilots were ex airforce as you generally had to have a lot of aviation experience, it wasn't the kind of thing you got an apprenticeship in.
Oh and loved how the pilot in that article basically admitted the RAF wouldn't have him so he went for commercial aircraft....reassuring.
Alientrooper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to Air Cadets. You can do scholarships for gliding/flying plus youll get contacts. Just completed my gliding scholarship and hoping to do my flying one too (as well as Gold DofE) before applying for uni in September.
smashah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pizzapino)
Hi guys,

I am a French student and I've been offered a place by the University of Bristol, the University of Bath, the University of Sheffield, the University of Surrey. for an Meng Aeronautical engineering course. And I was which uni to firm ?

Also, I have a few questions concerning the job of civil pilot in the UK.
- How do you become a pilot after having a degree in Aerospace engineering ?
- Is it expensive ?
- Which schools prepare best for this job ? Have links with airline companies... ?

Thank you very much for your help !
Hi pizzapino! First of all let me ask if your username is based on the pizza resturaunt along the Champs Élysées? I've had some fond memories outside that place!

Back to the point:

I think I've applied to the same course as you in Sheffield. I don't know if you've been to the open day but if it weren't for some factors i would have definitely picked Sheffield as my firm, but it is my insurance.

If you do decide to go to Sheffield they have a great facility for studying and also for flight training. I was surprised on my open day when i was the only one that volunteered to ride the flight simulator. Apparently the additional flight training isn't really popular. You will get to do actual hours at Sheffield Aero Club. The cost for this will be around £1,000 as a one-time installment in October. This (price) is one of the main factors why i would want to go to sheffield as compared with my firm, Brunel University.

At Brunel the price of the pilot training is around £6,280 (i guess that's because it's closer to london) with the same payment conditions. On the other hand, the course is much more suited for me at Brunel, it's closer to family, closer to heathrow which could help me with work experience and also a quick exit back to home.

My friend and I were both looking to becoming pilots together but this year have taken different routes. I found out I have a minimal case of Glaucoma that might hinder my progress in gaining my pilots license so i decided to stick with Uni. Whereas my friend will be going the non-Uni route and go straight to flight-school. So you don't really need these uni courses to become a commercial pilot but at open days i was told that it would give you a massive advantage!

*the prices i quoted were just for PPL/PPI, thats the first step "putting-on-of-your-shoes-to-approach-the-steps" to getting your CPL.

I hope this helped and good luck with your exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.86%
No - but I will (101)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.66%

Watched Threads