Study abroad Watch

Play-A-Record!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi!

I've been interested in spending some time in North America for quite a while now and it's been recommended to me that I look at spending time there to study. I have an unconditional offer from Aberystwyth to study History which I have 'firmly' accepted. I've pasted some info from the Aber website which indicate that this is possible but it doesn't really go into detail (unless I'm looking in the wrong place!).

The department has established links with a number of universities abroad that provide excellent opportunities for you to spend a period immersing yourself in a different historical culture. At the moment, links exist with universities in:

America (various universities)
Czech Republic (Prague)
Germany (Darmstadt and Göttingen)
Hungary (Budapest)

Most people agree that a period of study abroad provides an opportunity to gain new perspectives, both on the subject matter of your own degree course and on the life and culture of the other country. We have an exciting programme of undergraduate exchanges with North American universities through which you could spend your second year (or for some subjects, a semester only) of your degree at an American university.

The exchange involves a simple one-to-one student swap with an American university, where you will enjoy the same rights and privileges as full-time students at the American institution. The period of study in the United States is considered an integral part of your Aberystwyth degree. American course assessments will be converted into their British equivalents.

Currently we have exchanges with the University of Pittsburgh, Washington State University, the University of Montana, Boise State University and Carroll College, Wisconsin (for computer science students only), Purdue University, Indiana (for rural sciences students only), and Bowling Green, Ohio (for theatre, film and television studies students only).
Anyone know anything about the chances of this being available, the costs, the experience etc?

Thanks!
AberInsider
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Chris.

The details are vauge, as specific arrangements and availability vary each year. It’s good that you are thinking about this early, as it will allow you to get everything offically sorted out in good time.

The best thing to do would be to speak to Iona, who is our Erasmus/Study Abroad Officer. She will be able to give you some specific information regarding your course and options for a year abroad - [email protected]
Play-A-Record!
Rep:
?
Thank you for the quick reply, I'll send an email tomorrow!
CallumG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Chris,

I'm actually currently on the North American Exchange Programme with Aberystwyth studying at Washington State University. I didn't actually find out about it until December of my first year so you've got plenty of time.

The application process is as follows (For N American Programme:
1. You complete an initial application, contacts basic personal information, financial information (Local authority & Sources of Financial support), choice of university (ranked 1-4, I got first choice), general information (Intended career, non academic interests & any previous study abroad or foreign living experience)
2. Personal Essay of not more then 250 words "Reasons for wishing to participate in the North American Exchange Programme"
3. One academic reference from Aberystwyth University & one Character reference

Then it was a pretty informal interview with a few people, didn't last too long & they just asked why I wanted to go etc, wasn't too difficult.

NOTE: When applying, you must have proof of around $15,500 in Finances (although I expect this will rise) I did this by using my student finance letters, a bit of smart moves concerning my banks and a couple of loans from parents - so don't worry too much about that.

Over the course of the year, I've had an amazing time, I've done the best skiing of my life, been to Vancouver, Canada, Los Angeles, California, Snomobiling, Jetskiing, seen Bears etc etc, there is so much to do.

The drinking laws get irritating, however the Greek system they have it throw pretty good parties & mean you drink for free / very cheap (You'll find your accent will do you a lot of favours in regards to getting into parties)

I get back to Aberystwyth for a few days in May or I'll be back in September next year if you wanted to meet up & discuss things, also if you've any other questions just hit me up

(Original post by ChrisDRFC)
Thank you for the quick reply, I'll send an email tomorrow!
I'd be delighted to know if you actually get a reply, I've not heard a single word from anyone at Aberystwyth since I left in August apart from my personal tutor & lecturer who I e-mailed first.
Play-A-Record!
Rep:
?
Thank you Callum!
Play-A-Record!
Rep:
?
Just a quick question. How competitive is the North American exchange programme and how much of an impact, if any, will my A Level grades (which are pretty average tbh) have on my application?

Thanks!
CallumG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChrisDRFC)
Just a quick question. How competitive is the North American exchange programme and how much of an impact, if any, will my A Level grades (which are pretty average tbh) have on my application?

Thanks!
I've no idea how competitive it is, I know there aren't many positions available, but I don't think many people apply for it.

Your A level grades will have little to no impact.
Play-A-Record!
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply again. I owe you a drink or two in Aber!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
  • Aberystwyth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
  • Aberystwyth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads