Energy saving lighbulbs cause cancer even when not broken and switched on Watch

The-Real-One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/84...chemicals.html

It's NOT the Daily Mail, so it's more credible. It seems the EU wants to poisions us all by forcing us all to use low energy lightbulbs

I've decided to buy some 100w lightbulbs off Ebay and chuck the low energy ones I've got in the bin.

I bring to your attention a health hazard that could impact your health in the long run and you neg rep me? Ungrate little ****s.
Entangled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That article was enlightening.
OrmondDrone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Candle light. It's the way of the future.
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everything gives you cancer these days. If you live your life listening to all these stories you'd be living in a cave.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stumbling about in the dark is much safer.
hayley99x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What a load of bull*hite! Everything gives you cancer these days, I mean, light bulbs...seriously?!

Sunlight can cause cancer and I bet you're not trotting around in a body protecting suite!

If you are throwing your light bulbs away, and replacing them- that is jokes
Moleman1996
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just more crap then...
Jtking3000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Entangled)
That article was enlightening.
i see what you did there
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
Everything gives you cancer these days. If you live your life listening to all these stories you'd be living in a cave.
Make sure it's not a granite cave. ThAt CaUsEs CaNcEr.
Becca2904
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You never know what sources to trust these days, I think and with all the health and saftey laws this day I doubt that the risk is as high as this article makes it out to be. I mean your not supposed to operate a ladder without having been on a course or something so I highly doubt that if things were really that bad that they'd even be on sale at all.
Kaykiie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:rolleyes:

Turning on the light to go the toilet at night can cause cancer...

I have accepted my fate.
LethalBizzle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
I read caves give you Gonorrhea.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
meh, who cares. you're gonna die one day anyway, i'd rather die being able to see than die in the dark...
chrislpp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The internet gives you cancer....no wait, it IS the cancer.
cttp_ngaf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
Everything gives you cancer these days.
(Original post by hayley99x)
What a load of bull*hite! Everything gives you cancer these days, I mean, light bulbs...seriously?!

Classic stuff. People become overloaded with advice and so they react by denying all of it. This is the problem that scientists have when trying to communicate health issues with laypeople who have a completely different way of categorising nature and "things" than do the scientists. To you, I suppose, it seems that there are all these hundreds of different objects or activities that can just abstractly "cause cancer". It seems absurd and magical, LOL LIGHT BuLB GONNA FLY DOWN AND KILL ME WHEN I SLEEP.

Most people, and they would never know it, have a very limited perception of what this physical reality is made up of, how tiny amounts of matter can transfer between surfaces or move in air or water, and certainly they don't know what on Earth cancer is or how it comes about, just that it's a really **** illness which can't really be cured.

But to someone with an awareness of biology and chemistry it actually makes perfect sense, and I can't think of a single report of something being linked to cancer that was very far from the truth. Most are just reports of old, well-known cancer risks being connected with other behaviours or objects, as in this case:

> These lightbulbs contain chemicals which are very well known to "cause" cancer in certain situations.
> These chemicals leech out of the lightbulbs, into the air.
> You breathe in the air.
> The cancer-causing chemicals are now in your body.

This is all indisputable. So what remains is the matter of extent and dose, and then weighing that danger against the great convenience of having expensive, dim lightbulbs which don't even last as long as the old sort.
cttp_ngaf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by inksplodge)
meh, who cares. you're gonna die one day anyway, i'd rather die being able to see than die in the dark...
Ridiculous false dichotomy.
Kareir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
Nah, the natural minerals in the rock would probably give you radiation too. Damn.

_Kar.
IPlayThePiccolo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At one point coffee both caused and cured cancer.
At one point having children and not having children caused cancer.
It seems we're all going to get cancer anyway, let's save the environment whilst we're at it shall we?
JGR
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The idea is that the mercury stays inside the bulb.

Frankly, the whole issue is a farce, as pretty much every office, car park, large public building, etc has been lit using strip fluorescent lights for the last few decades at least, and they also contain mercury. Last time I checked that wasn't an issue.
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is this another argument for a mass switchover to LED lighting?
LEDs are probably more efficient than energy saving bulbs and to my knowledge wouldn't emit chemicals like in the article. Back when energy saving bulbs start to become more prominent common LEDs weren't particularly bright and so wouldn't make a viable light source, but now the brightest torch in the house by a long way has LEDs in it (easily bright enough to blind you if you look directly into the beam!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads