University of Leeds or University of Manchester? Help!!! Watch

Rokaf0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, I need some help choosing where I want to go for university- deadline is right around the corner!!!
At both universities the offer is ABB. At Manchester I'd be studying Modern History and Economics, but at Leeds it'd be Joint Honours in Economics and History.

I have visited both univeristies. Leeds overall looks like a better university, problem is I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as a city, compared to Manchester.
At Manchester the live music seems better, the architecture and general buildings are incredible, but the university is in the middle of a huge city- which would probably be scary. The course is not that good too, mainly crammed with history and only a little bit of economics. I also live only 40 minutes away from Manchester, so it would be quite annoying as I'd still be close to family.
At Leeds though, it is fairly far away (2 hour train). As the campus is 15-20 minutes away from the city it seems nice, but the city as a whole can't compare to Manchester can it? The degree there would be a lot better regarded and help in job prospects I guess.

Yeah I'm really confused- some advice from people there would be great.
From what you've read above can you tell me what you would personally do? Thanks in advance...
therealOG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Manchester all day, everyday.

I take it from your sig that you got rejected by LSE? If not, LSE ftw.
air-ninety-one
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
leeds is a great city... and the uni is alright also... i would choose leeds. although i chose kent over leeds so yeah... this post is irrelevant
michael clayton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would go for Leeds if you are looking to gain a grounding in both Economics and History. Manchester would be predominantly History so you would study Econ in v. little depth.
Rokaf0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by therealOG)
Manchester all day, everyday.

I take it from your sig that you got rejected by LSE? If not, LSE ftw.
Haha yup rejected. Think I will firm Glasgow (probably not getting AAA though), so just choosing a nice insurance which I will probably end up at.
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to Leeds, I can't see any major reasons why you don't want to go there, whereas there are a couple for manc. Leeds has a good music scene also, with many historical buildings around the center which are amazing. It's a very lively student city too.
Clearly you wouldn't enjoy the course at manc as much so really there's no dispute as the course is the main thing imo.
girlwithsharpteeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had the exact same issue as you: Leeds (where the course was much better for me too) or Manchester. I chose Leeds the city is actually great, much better than I gave it credit for originally but the fact that the course is much better for me was the real deciding factor as this is far more important than a very slight difference in what shops etc there are available both are very large cities with great nightlife and activities - it shouldn't really even be a choice if Leeds is so much better for you and that is all you are worrying about.
indigochild01
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From what you've written it sounds like you actually prefer Leeds so I would pick that. It is a great city anyway you'll love it once your there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads