What to do with tangerines? Watch

superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I bought a load of reduced tangerines from the supermarket today, but I just tried one and it was horrible - really sour. So if they're all like that I can't eat them as they are, but I'd rather not chuck them away. I was thinking if I cooked them with sugar somehow they might turn out alright, so any suggestions?
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's only one way to find out if they're all like that, really.
superwolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by mel0n)
There's only one way to find out if they're all like that, really.
I know, but my tastebuds are protesting against trying another one just yet. :yucky:
superwolf
Rep:
?
I might try making jam, anyone know how hard it is?
EternalBliss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How bout a smoothie or a cake?!
superwolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by EternalBliss)
How bout a smoothie or a cake?!
I can't see a smoothie being very nice, it would probably taste far too sour. I do know a nice recipe for cake with tangerines in, but the problem with that is the other ingredients are really expensive, so it would be a waste if it turned out bad. I think I'll try my jam idea, that way if it goes wrong I'll only be wasting the sugar.
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Make a tangerine cheese cake
EternalBliss
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by superwolf)
I can't see a smoothie being very nice, it would probably taste far too sour. I do know a nice recipe for cake with tangerines in, but the problem with that is the other ingredients are really expensive, so it would be a waste if it turned out bad. I think I'll try my jam idea, that way if it goes wrong I'll only be wasting the sugar.
Ah, okay... Good luck then! I Hope it turns out well.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Juggle
LittleGee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Peel them.
Melt milk chocolate in a bowl, dip each segment into the chocolate, put all the coated segments onto a plate in a pile, drizzle some melted white chocolate onto the top. Levae to set in the fridge - then enjoy x
orla712
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not being funny...but why don't you go out into the snow in your underwear and throw them at your friend like the did in the mighty boosh? Only i think they used satsumas in the boosh but i'm sure tangerines would work just as well
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by orla712)
Not being funny...but why don't you go out into the snow in your underwear and throw them at your friend like the did in the mighty boosh? Only i think they used satsumas in the boosh but i'm sure tangerines would work just as well
Snow in May in the UK.
Not being funny....but I see no problems with that plan. :nothing:

Throw them in a saucepan with some red wine and sweet spices and warm it up, mulled wine, mmmmm.
spacepirate-James
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not being funny
yeah...you really weren't funny at all were you :lolwut:
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jelly

Sorbet

This cake (a variation of one by Nigella Lawson)

Flourless tangerine cake

4-5 tangerines
6 eggs
225g sugar
250g ground almonds
1 heaping tsp. baking powder

Put the tangerines in a pot with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each tangerine in half and remove the seeds. Dump the tangerines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp. Preheat the oven to 375º F. Butter and line an 8-inch cake tin.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the pan. When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it any time.
RequiemForADream
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lol
Satsumas!
I just don't know if tangerines would have the same magic comedy element...
superwolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by tigermoth99)
Jelly

Sorbet

This cake (a variation of one by Nigella Lawson)

Flourless tangerine cake

4-5 tangerines
6 eggs
225g sugar
250g ground almonds
1 heaping tsp. baking powder

Put the tangerines in a pot with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each tangerine in half and remove the seeds. Dump the tangerines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp. Preheat the oven to 375º F. Butter and line an 8-inch cake tin.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the pan. When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it any time.
I've had that cake, it was :sogood: especially because it had chocolate melted on top as well. But I didn't want to try making it this time because the clementines were so sour I thought they might spoil it, so I made marmalade and put it in the middle of a victoria sponge. Turned out pretty good.
Pn94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cut a round hole into them and **** them.
superwolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pn94)
Cut a round hole into them and **** them.
You must have a seriously small penis. :lolwut:
orla712
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by spacepirate-James)
yeah...you really weren't funny at all were you :lolwut:
no need to be sour. i was just saying.

and yes I did say "not being funny" coz i didn't want people to think i was trying to be funny..i'm not a funny person anyway. its just genuinely what came to mind when i saw the thread title as i'd recently watched that episode of the boosh.
Pn94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by superwolf)
You must have a seriously small penis. :lolwut:
No. I just make a kebab stick of them. 5 tangerines and me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.47%
No - but I will (74)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (463)
47.93%

Watched Threads