The rationale of the "politics doesn't affect me" argument Watch

rajandkwameali
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
OK, if politics doesn't affect people then:

- what is the purpose then of having a government? Is it not to control a society, and be a society's supreme authority? How then, if one lives under a government, can one not be affected by it?

- Most follow laws, and who sets laws? And by what process are laws set? If one drives at 120mph on the M6, and is in consequence arrested by the police, then this law didn't arise from magic.

Is it only chavs, scallies and retarded people who say that politics doesn't affect them?
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
politics effects everyone - you can't escape from it, unfortunately.
milkytea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is no "politics doesn't affect me" argument. The word "argument" gives it too much credit. It could be better described as a deluded lie.
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If people genuinely beleive politics doesn't affect them then it should be brought into question whether they should be given the right to vote when they have no understanding of the consequence of the vote for themselves or others.
Danny.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rajandkwameali)

Is it only chavs, scallies and retarded people who say that politics doesn't affect them?
Yes.
Jingers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They mean it more in a context of "do I vote for the Labour Party who will blast me in the arse or do I vote for the Conservatives who are already blasting me in the arse? Politics is all one huge arse blast" context, not that politics has no bearing at all on their life.
DivineIntervention
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Politics affects everyone who walks the streets. However, some choose to go by the rationale that "I don't affect politics" and therefore why should I vote. This isn't to say that the vote doesn't count (every one does - that's democracy) but some feel disillusioned with the political process and choose to live by ignoring it as much as possible. This is not to say that it doesn't affect them.

Also, what Jingers said ^^^^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed