PE after surgery Watch

appleboy786
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
ok so if you get a massive PE say a week after a hip replacement would you be contraindicated to give thrombolysis and what would you do to treat it if so?
arcl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
More information would be needed.

Was the patient on prophylactic DVT treatment post-op? Heparin? Warfarin? What are their INR levels if on warfarin?

Until normal circumstances, I wouldn't think there would be an obvious reason not to thrombolise (considering it's "massive"), unless there are obvious contraindications (eg hx CVA or IC bleeds, pregnancy, issues with blood clotting) - is there a filter? What was the reason for the hip op? Was because of trauma/was there any vascular damage? Is there a risk of a bleed or rebleed? Is there any underlying cause for the PE other than the fact the patient was immobile?

The only thing I could think of if thrombolysis wasn't an option would be a thrombolectomy? Though that's a pretty old school treatment option I think? Hell, I don't even know if it's done any more.
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Recent surgery is a relative contraindication to thrombolysis, so you would assess relative risk:benefit, and basically if the risk to life was greater from the PE than thrombolysis you would probably proceed
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by arcl)
More information would be needed.

Was the patient on prophylactic DVT treatment post-op? Heparin? Warfarin? What are their INR levels if on warfarin?

Until normal circumstances, I wouldn't think there would be an obvious reason not to thrombolise (considering it's "massive"), unless there are obvious contraindications (eg hx CVA or IC bleeds, pregnancy, issues with blood clotting) - is there a filter? What was the reason for the hip op? Was because of trauma/was there any vascular damage? Is there a risk of a bleed or rebleed? Is there any underlying cause for the PE other than the fact the patient was immobile?

The only thing I could think of if thrombolysis wasn't an option would be a thrombolectomy? Though that's a pretty old school treatment option I think? Hell, I don't even know if it's done any more.
Many of your questions are totally irrelevant.
Question was 'massive PE 1 week after hip replacement. Can you thrombolyse'

Hence:-

"Was the patient on prophylactic DVT treatment post-op? Heparin? Warfarin? What are their INR levels if on warfarin?"
= Irrelevant

is there a filter?
= Irrelevant
issues with blood clotting
= Irrelevant
What was the reason for the hip op?
= Irrelevant
Was because of trauma/was there any vascular damage?
= Irrelevant
Is there a risk of a bleed or rebleed?
= Irrelevant
Is there any underlying cause for the PE other than the fact the patient was immobile?
= Irrelevant

At end of day you need to ask yourself (as j00ni said) risk:benefit.
Ergo if 'massive PE' on CTPA and patient not dying in front of you then don't thombolyse.
If patient arresting/peri-arrest then thrombolyse.

Simples
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
If patient arresting/peri-arrest then thrombolyse.
And refer it to someone else.
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The article might make it clearer.

• Thrombolysis is the first line treatment for massive PE [B] and may be instituted on clinical grounds alone if cardiac arrest is imminent [B]; a 50 mg bolus of alteplase is recommended. [C]

• Thrombolysis should not be used as first line treatment in non-massive PE. [B]

http://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/Port...olismJUN03.pdf

In a non-massive PE I thought you increase the low molecular weight heparin to therapeutic dose and then convert to warfarin. I'm not sure entire sure if you can do this in a surgical patient because of risk of haemorrhage so perhaps someone could clarify that for you.

HTH
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Revenged)
In a non-massive PE I thought you increase the low molecular weight heparin to therapeutic dose and then convert to warfarin. I'm not sure entire sure if you can do this in a surgical patient because of risk of haemorrhage so perhaps someone could clarify that for you.
You can. There is a risk of bleeding but, from what I remember, it's not all that high.
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Surgical patients can have warfarin - again, it's a case by case risk-benefit weigh up, clinical judgement based on type of surgery vs severity of PE.

The problem with LMWH is that it can't be reversed. The other night I (+ ITU team) were left clearing up the mess after the medics decided to give a patient rx dose clexane for ?PE due to SOB (normal O2 sats). Look at the gas and you find pH 7.15, BE -15, bicarb 12, normal PO2, low PCO2... Respiratory compensation anybody?? To add to the fun no-one had bothered to check and notice the fact that he had a platelet count of 23 pre-clexane, and minimal functioning nephrons. Dx: sepsis (multiple SIRS + urine infec), not PE. Thanks medics.

Moral of the story - it's very easy in medical emergencies to assume someone has a PE and pile in the clexane before a proper examination plus baseline ix such as CXR / gas have been done. Don't forget SOB due to resp compensation for metabolic acidosis!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by junior.doctor)
Moral of the story - it's very easy in medical emergencies to assume someone has a PE and pile in the clexane before a proper examination plus baseline ix such as CXR / gas have been done. Don't forget SOB due to resp compensation for metabolic acidosis!
Very good point

Alas "Please rate some other members before rating this member again"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads