My D: partition just disappeared? Watch

Sadian
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I just realised that my D: partition is missing. My hard-drive is separated in Packard Bell (C: ) 221 GB and Packard Bell (D: ) of about the same size but now it's just not there in My Computer and all the files that were in there have all gone.

What the hell happened? What do I do?
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I keep seeing this thread title and thinking you are doing a really unhappy face, which would be appropriate tbf. I can't think what would cause this, if it was just a hard drive failure then surely the whole lot would be gone, not just one partition.
Sadian
Rep:
?
(Original post by tface)
I keep seeing this thread title and thinking you are doing a really unhappy face, which would be appropriate tbf. I can't think what would cause this, if it was just a hard drive failure then surely the whole lot would be gone, not just one partition.
Ahahah, yeah, I can't not see it as a unhappy face :mmm:

But this is really sucky! D: I have a lot of important stuff on that partition. It has to have gone somewhere! My 500gb hard drive can't have had 250gb vanish out of nowhere. :/
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to the Start menu, right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.

Then, go to Disk Management (under Storage) and look for the second partition. Chances are you'll see something like this:

If you right-click the D: partition (it won't be called that if it isn't on D: of course, but you get what I mean), you can choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths", which will let you re-assign a letter if it's managed to lose it.

If this fails, you may need to run error-checking. Make sure the drive isn't assigned to any letters or paths, then go to Properties. On the Tools tab, you should see an option for error-checking. This will fix any common errors with the partition.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't click on Format! Good luck.
Attached files
Sadian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)

This is really weird. You see that 222.71GB? That used to be my D: partition. Now it's simply not assigned anything. None of the 3 options above are assigned to that 222.71GB, it's just there all by itself.

And then this is what it says when I try doing anything with it! D:

Dez
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Odd error message. You can refresh Disk Management by right-clicking it in the left-hand pane and choosing Refresh. After that, try assigning a drive letter using "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
Sadian
Rep:
?
Same error message. :/

Weird thing is, it only appears for that 222GB part. None of the others. D:
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm.

Can you run the error-check? Or do you get the same error when trying to get to error-checking... to check for errors? D:
maturestudy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds like your hard disk is on its way out. Backup any important data now!
Sadian
Rep:
?
I can't find the option for error-check. :/

UnknwnEntity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

^ Here it is.
Entangled
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Should be under Properties and then Tools. Or something along those lines.
Sadian
Rep:
?
I can't click properties. :/ That error comes up
ak137
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sadian)
Maybe your partition has been unmounted? you need to mount it using command prompt but i dont know how! sorry...
lace-rules
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know this may sound stupid, but have you restarted your computer?
ANARCHY__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sadian)
Might be something wrong with your Windows boot not recognising the partition. However, you can also try this.

· Click Start Orb > type diskpart

· Right-click diskpart in results above > click Run as administrator

· Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter

You should notice that you will see your partition that you use for your data, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.

· Type select volume 6 (replace 6 with the volume number assigned to the partition in question)

· Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it)

When you look in Computer, you should be able to see your partition.
Original Post

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed