A Level Mathematics Mechanics M1 or Statistics S2 (both CIE)? Watch

MathematicsLover
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Which is more easier to get top marks in? (in the middle of studying S1 for AS-it was compulsory- now have the choice for M1 or S2 for A2). Note that this is the CIE board.
supernova92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you've done S1, then I would recommend carrying on with s2, as you'll be continuing with what you will have learnt already, hence it will be wasier. How are you finding statistics atm? If you're struggling to understand it then mechanics would suit you better. If you're fine with it, then stick with s2
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
I think that S1 is fine, but I'm more concerned with the difficulty of the questions in the exam; it would appear that S2 would be harder than M1 as it is the 2nd module, and that a balanced M1/S1 route would be better..... What are your thoughts on this? Oh and which one of S1/S2 or S1/M1 would be better for medicine?
supernova92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MathematicsLover)
I think that S1 is fine, but I'm more concerned with the difficulty of the questions in the exam; it would appear that S2 would be harder than M1 as it is the 2nd module, and that a balanced M1/S1 route would be better..... What are your thoughts on this? Oh and which one of S1/S2 or S1/M1 would be better for medicine?
For medicine, i really doubt a module would make a difference. However out of the 2, statistics would be more useful. Do you do physics? If you do then do M1, as they link well together.
I disagree, just because it is the "2nd module" it's not necessarily harder. IMO it would be easier to carry on with statistics rather than start learning mechanics, and having a "balance". In fact by sticking with one, you gain a (all be it small) deeper knowledge in one area.

Basically if you do physics at A level, go for m1, if not, then carrying on with s2 would suit you better, as you don't seem to be struggling with it at the moment.
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
I'm currently in Y11, taking AS one year early, and I am taking IG Physics this year (and will be taking AS next year) so I think I may take Mechanics, as I thoroughly enjoy the content of it covered in Physics, and as it seems more enjoyment=more thoughtful revision/less procrastination=higher mark
supernova92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently in Y11, taking AS one year early, and I am taking IG Physics this year (and will be taking AS next year) so I think I may take Mechanics, as I thoroughly enjoy the content of it covered in Physics, and as it seems more enjoyment=more thoughtful revision/less procrastination=higher mark
Ah i see, well it seems like you've made up your mind then!
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
haha yes ive been pondering it for 2 weeks know and i think in the long run taking the subject you enjoy, though it may be slightly harder is well worth it! (Mechanics should help Physics anyway!)
Have you done any mechanics modules, and are you doing physics? Btw thanks for the help
supernova92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
haha yes ive been pondering it for 2 weeks know and i think in the long run taking the subject you enjoy, though it may be slightly harder is well worth it! (Mechanics should help Physics anyway!)
Have you done any mechanics modules, and are you doing physics? Btw thanks for the help
Nope, I changed it at the last minute when i started year 12. As I wasn't doing physics, and just panicked and changed to stats haha!
If you're doing it earlier, then you must be good at maths, so you'll be fine
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
haha thanks tbh if I wasn't going to take Physics, I wouldn't even consider taking mech! Well good luck for your stats then, still got the rest of the year for S1 for me as CIE exams are in Nov.
supernova92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
haha thanks tbh if I wasn't going to take Physics, I wouldn't even consider taking mech! Well good luck for your stats then, still got the rest of the year for S1 for me as CIE exams are in Nov.
Yeah thats why i switched! Ta, you too woah that's ages... my s2 exam is coming up in 3 weeks.. :eek:
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
The horrror! You must be sitting it in the May/June session - are you also sitting the CIE board? Well good luck then ,apparently there's a lot of little things to remember in S2 rather than content like in Mech, so best to revise those!
supernova92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The horrror! You must be sitting it in the May/June session - are you also sitting the CIE board? Well good luck then ,apparently there's a lot of little things to remember in S2 rather than content like in Mech, so best to revise those!
Yeah haha, the 26th of may, and no I'm with edexcel not CIE (but the content is pretty similar). Yeah, definitely a lot more!
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
Yeh the content is very similar in both applied module, I think there's no difference in the stats modules, but in the Mech 1 module we cover Work and energy, while you cover Vectors instead (thats meant to be the hardest part of mech, so luckily CIE avoids that!). What field are you planning to enter after college?
supernova92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeh the content is very similar in both applied module, I think there's no difference in the stats modules, but in the Mech 1 module we cover Work and energy, while you cover Vectors instead (thats meant to be the hardest part of mech, so luckily CIE avoids that!). What field are you planning to enter after college?
I see, well you'll be doing vecotrs in c4, so don't think you got away with that! Look in my sig! I'll be doing Actuarial maths at uni, so I hope to go into that area, but not necessarily by becoming an actuary
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
Yes it goes into 3D vectors *sigh*. Yes I saw that, what is involved in actuarial maths? I've never really known what math is specifically used in that field. Haha, good thing is that a degree in that can lead to a variety of mathematical careers.
supernova92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Statistics : A lot of it is to do with measuring risk. You do a bit of accounting, finance, and economics too... The first year i believe is very similar to the pure maths students so you'll do all the calculus, algebra, vectors etc.
Yeah, i mean obviously it's more specific than a degree in straight maths, but I like the applied mathematics side of it, and it's still a respected degree by employers in the maths/financial area
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
You'll have a good head start on the pure side! I can see why statistics would fit in well with your career, especially with its links to economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.75%
No - but I will (53)
7.02%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
47.95%

Watched Threads