Have replies on TSR just become about being funny and getting likes? Watch

Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is it me or do some other people also feel that virtually every thread someone has to come and try to post something funny by taking things out of context/deliberately misinterpreting something/making a clever joke? It has value as humour, but it just derails threads and I think it's happening more than ever because of the new 'like' system on TSR.

Something good about it though is whenever you open a thread and are disappointed by the OP, you can scroll down, get a chuckle and then hit back on your browser. But when it's an interesting topic, it's just irritating that people are just posting so their post can get lots of likes (or, sometimes, so their post can get lots of dislikes).
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
Is it me or do some other people also feel that virtually everything thread someone has to come and try to post something funny by taking things out of context/deliberately misinterpreting something/making a clever joke? It has value as humour, but it just derails threads and I think it's happening more than ever because of the new 'like' system on TSR.

Something good about it though is whenever you open a thread and are disappointed by the OP, you can scroll down, get a chuckle and then hit back on your browser. But when it's an interesting topic, it's just irritating that people are just posting so their post can get lots of likes (or, sometimes, so their post can get lots of dislikes).
Indeed. It has perhaps increased, but satire, sarcasm and humour was abundant in the pre-like system too. If someone has deliberately taken something out of context and deliberately misinterpreted to the point where it is derailing the thread, then just report it. Chances are the moderator will agree with you, remove the post and any subsequent spam posts, issue warnings and bring the discussion back on topic. And if it's an interesting and serious discussion, then there's probably a higher chance of it being seen as not contributing and being removed.
Khodu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
Is it me or do some other people also feel that virtually everything thread someone has to come and try to post something funny by taking things out of context/deliberately misinterpreting something/making a clever joke? It has value as humour, but it just derails threads and I think it's happening more than ever because of the new 'like' system on TSR.

Yep totally agree with you. Sometimes it's unneeded. During serious debates because it's annoying to see people just posting to look cool and have no solid input at all.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's fair to say that at least 95% of occurrences of this on TSR happen exclusively in H&R.
The Bagel Guy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Absolutely not!

It's also about being serious and getting negged for it!

And of course, negging people because they have a differing (and still perfectly correct) opinion.

And don't forget the negging people just for the sake of using that spare neg you have left!

*Awaits neg train*
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It does happen a lot tbh. I had a mini rant about this exact topic about an hour ago...

The thing is with any rep system it will never be perfect and a lot of the people that do pos/neg these initial posts seem to have either 0 powr or 1 but mostly it's 0...

So it's not that bad tbh... In the right places you can have decent discussions where others won't come in...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed