A Level Mathematics Mechanics M1 or Statistics S2 (both CIE)? Watch

MathematicsLover
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Which is more easier to get top marks in? (in the middle of studying S1 for AS-it was compulsory- now have the choice for M1 or S2 for A2). Note that this is the CIE board
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I found M1 okay. Although, I do OCR.
Naomiimoan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
M1 if you did physics
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
@Naomiimoan I do take Physics... which exam do you think is harder? I've heard things like Stats is harder because of all the little errors you can make, and with Mech once you've understood the question the rest is easy....? I want to get the highest mark possible, and also want some relevancy to medicine.
Naomiimoan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MathematicsLover)
@Naomiimoan I do take Physics... which exam do you think is harder? I've heard things like Stats is harder because of all the little errors you can make, and with Mech once you've understood the question the rest is easy....? I want to get the highest mark possible, and also want some relevancy to medicine.
Well I didn't do S2 as in my school M1 isn't optional but I'm so glad I'm doing M1.
It's basically the same as mechanics in physics so you're more likely to get 100 in it because of the constant practice.
I didn't like S1 last year because there wasn't really much understanding in it. It was just memorisation and plugging numbers into formulas so if you forget something..that's it, you can't do the whole question. M1 is understanding and I find that if you understand something, you're more likely to be able to apply methods in different situations and with a bit of practice, you get really good.

Maths isn't particularly relevant to medicine so I don't think choosing one module over another will help you in any way. You just need to get the grade so I say, M1 is easier, pick that
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info! I think I'll probably pick M1, it would be a good balance with S1 and M1.By the way, do you also do the CIE board?
Naomiimoan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the info! I think I'll probably pick M1, it would be a good balance with S1 and M1.By the way, do you also do the CIE board?
No problem. Oh..no..I do edexcel..but how different can they be?
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
True, they can't be that different. So overall, you find that its easier to get more marks in the mech papers because its harder to make little errors that you get in long winded stats question? But are the actual stats questions easier than the mech ones?
Naomiimoan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
True, they can't be that different. So overall, you find that its easier to get more marks in the mech papers because its harder to make little errors that you get in long winded stats question? But are the actual stats questions easier than the mech ones?
1. Sorry my finger slipped (I'm on my phone) so I neg'd you by accident.
2. Yes.
Well I had to retake stats to do well in it but from retaking it, I found that although I may be doing the right thing, I feel like I'm not soo I'm not really sure about which is harder but I can say that mech qus are definitely clearer.
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
Haha no worries and thanks again for the info- it makes perfect sense; in stats you don't know for sure whether your answer is likely to be correct, with mech if you get an answer of 20000000N to make a 0.000001kg mass ball to go into motion with a very small coefficient of friction, you're probably going to be 'slightly' wrong! (look at that, I'm already talking like a mech student!)
aura1947
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't really like M1. I mean I was good in Physics and all (got an A) but I could never really get M1. And it brought down my grade as well (at as I got a B in Maths...A in P1 and B in M1). I didn't do S2, but I did do S1 and loved it to bits! Loved every moment of it! And found it terribly easy as well. I guess S2 would be a tad more difficult, but meh. But if you are unlike me and mechanics is your thing...Go for M1.
Naomiimoan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha no worries and thanks again for the info- it makes perfect sense; in stats you don't know for sure whether your answer is likely to be correct, with mech if you get an answer of 20000000N to make a 0.000001kg mass ball to go into motion with a very small coefficient of friction, you're probably going to be 'slightly' wrong! (look at that, I'm already talking like a mech student!)
Haha Get in there!! 'twas meant to be :')
The Bagel Guy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're both easy once you understand the questions. But then I did further maths... A lot more people in my classes seemed to struggle with the mechanics modules more than the stats though
MathematicsLover
Rep:
?
@Naomiimoan: Definitely!
@The Bagel Guy: But at just A Level, do you think M1 is easier/harder in terms of the exam/content than S2?
bloody-YES
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Statistics is just easy-peasy. Seriously. Once you get it, though.
But on the other hand, Mechanics help you for some stuff you see in P3, like Differential Equations. Not in what you already learnt, but in the mindset to do a question.
I'm doing the A2 Maths with S2 this year and never had any problem whatsoever... Physics just isn't for me anymore.
Harib Anwar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends honestly on the person, some people were good in physics but sucked in M1 while some did well in M1 and S1. It all depends on the amount of hard work you put in your studies, if u work hard enough i doubt you'll find S1 that hard.

P.S. I'm also doing medicine and taking S1, beside if the job was easy then it wouldn't be any fun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (162)
38.94%
No - but I will (22)
5.29%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.56%

Watched Threads