The Student Room Group

Post your stereotypical views of students..

Scroll to see replies

The main stereotype of linguists is that we all speak about ten languages and are hardcore grammar nerds.

Does anyone have any opinions on linguists? Anyone at all? :emo:
Reply 101
Original post by Quail
The main stereotype of linguists is that we all speak about ten languages and are hardcore grammar nerds.

Does anyone have any opinions on linguists? Anyone at all? :emo:

For some strange reason I've always thought that linguists are just looking for a relatively easy way into diplomatic jobs or the business/financial world. There is not pure linguistic department at my uni, only in combination with International Relations or a business-related degree but I've seen the ones in Bristol (yes.. Brizzle again :tongue:) and they're quite stuck up & emphasize how 'well rounded' they are!
Original post by de_monies
I don't understand why you can hate someone who has a genuine interest in the subject, and are compassionate for other human beings.

They are law-law.

They are irritating and waste my time. They debate with the lecturer. I sit there thinking "c'mon c'mon". I got your points- gays rights, feminism, hippos... Yes, I get that. Can we go now?

They are no fun to be with. They are so serious and grown up. I admit, on occasions I been a bit childish. They do not see the funny side of anything.
Original post by nunugab
For some strange reason I've always thought that linguists are just looking for a relatively easy way into diplomatic jobs or the business/financial world. There is not pure linguistic department at my uni, only in combination with International Relations or a business-related degree but I've seen the ones in Bristol (yes.. Brizzle again :tongue:) and they're quite stuck up & emphasize how 'well rounded' they are!

Haaaa oh god, us linguists at UCL are like the polar opposites :p: I think almost all of us treat the degree as a bit of a joke, not because it's easy but because it's not what any of us were expecting really, so we're all pretty bitter. Most of us want to be doing something in humanities, but realised this too late. Dayum.
Original post by Quail
Haaaa oh god, us linguists at UCL are like the polar opposites :p: I think almost all of us treat the degree as a bit of a joke, not because it's easy but because it's not what any of us were expecting really, so we're all pretty bitter. Most of us want to be doing something in humanities, but realised this too late. Dayum.

Oh dear, can I ask how was it different to what you were expecting? I'm thinking of applying...
Original post by Boom.Squish
Oh dear, can I ask how was it different to what you were expecting? I'm thinking of applying...

Well, let's just say, if you're REALLY REALLY into grammar you'll be fine... however, if, like the rest of us, it's not really the most fascinating of topics, you'll get quite bored. Is it UCL specifically you're thinking of applying to? Other unis seem to have courses with much less of a grammar-heavy focus :smile:

I can imagine there are worse courses to do, but I dunno, personally I've found it pretty dry and hard to engage with so far... I don't want to put you off if it's what you're interested in though!
Original post by Quail
Well, let's just say, if you're REALLY REALLY into grammar you'll be fine... however, if, like the rest of us, it's not really the most fascinating of topics, you'll get quite bored. Is it UCL specifically you're thinking of applying to? Other unis seem to have courses with much less of a grammar-heavy focus :smile:

I can imagine there are worse courses to do, but I dunno, personally I've found it pretty dry and hard to engage with so far... I don't want to put you off if it's what you're interested in though!

Thanks for replying! UCL is one of the ones I'm seriously thinking about, though this, and other accounts, has put me off a bit. The course seemed quite balanced on the website but I guess that can be misleading. I like grammar well enough but I'm a lot more interested in other aspects of the subject, as in history, literature etc. Out of interest, what year are you in and what languages are you studying? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Boom.Squish
Thanks for replying! UCL is one of the ones I'm seriously thinking about, though this, and other accounts, has put me off a bit. The course seemed quite balanced on the website but I guess that can be misleading. I like grammar well enough but I'm a lot more interested in other aspects of the subject, as in history, literature etc. Out of interest, what year are you in and what languages are you studying? Thanks :smile:

No problem! Yeah, a lot of people feel a bit misled by the information on the website to be honest... most of the department are syntacticians so if it's not your thing then it can be a bit overwhelming being surrounded by lecturers who are clearly all very into it... I don't think UCL even offers a history of language module to my knowledge, though there may be a chance to pick one up at another London uni? I'm hoping it'll improve next year when we get the choice to take optional modules like sociolinguistics... :s-smilie: To be honest York's course looked perfect for me, but I got a bit blinded by UCL's reputation and it's where I ended up!

I've just finished my first year, and though we can't do any extra languages this year, lots of the lectures (the syntax ones) focus on German and Italian as case studies if that's of any interest to you, and I might pick up a beginner module in Norwegian or something next year from the SSEES department :smile:
Reply 108
Classics: uppity *****.
Original post by Quail
No problem! Yeah, a lot of people feel a bit misled by the information on the website to be honest... most of the department are syntacticians so if it's not your thing then it can be a bit overwhelming being surrounded by lecturers who are clearly all very into it... I don't think UCL even offers a history of language module to my knowledge, though there may be a chance to pick one up at another London uni? I'm hoping it'll improve next year when we get the choice to take optional modules like sociolinguistics... :s-smilie: To be honest York's course looked perfect for me, but I got a bit blinded by UCL's reputation and it's where I ended up!

I've just finished my first year, and though we can't do any extra languages this year, lots of the lectures (the syntax ones) focus on German and Italian as case studies if that's of any interest to you, and I might pick up a beginner module in Norwegian or something next year from the SSEES department :smile:

Ah okay, a friend of a friend is a linguist there atm so I think I'll get into contact with her and try and find out if it's the course for me. It seems a shame though that they don't try and make it broader, there are so many interesting things you could be studying besides grammar! Thanks for the info though, I hope it improves for you next year :smile:
Reply 110
Ecology or some kind of conservation? :smile:
Reply 111
Original post by Fonix
Ecology or some kind of conservation? :smile:

Ecology/Geology - Posers! Or maybe I just can't comprehend how a person can truly care about the environment. Nice people though, can be quite boring and plain(personality wise). Extreme humanitarians and are generally left wing. ABSOLUTELY LOVES VOLUNTEERING. Furthermore I'd expect them to dress quite liberally ergo they'd probably wear loose fitting clothes. But generally they're quite nice.
Original post by nunugab
Math/physics - Either anti-social or extremely witty people! Generally quite down to earth but can come across as rather plain and boring at times. Generally dresses quite liberally/new age

You forgot 'always male', but yeah, pretty spot on for me/people on my course. Introveerrrrts!

Original post by nunugab
Psychology/Sociology - Social people. At times a bit too social. However a few of them are quite introverted and weird but the majority are social and very outgoing. Can be quite prententious and arrogant but are generally down to earth. Some of them are obssessed with logic (caused by the style of essay writing in psychology). Dresses casually and it's sometimes possible to distinguish them from other based on their clothing attire. Alcoholists.

I know three psychologists and the very social always out partying describes them all. None dress casually though, none are arrogant, none obsessed with logic.

These are all in my experience
Archeologists tend to not be too scholarly, generally following from the fact archeology isn't an A-Level, architects are pretty geeky (but a really friendly crowd!), journalists / linguists have always come across slightly condescending and arrogant in my experience. Engineers think they're really cool (sometimes true). I don't know enough people from other subjects to group them very well.
Original post by nunugab
Computer Science - IMO a vast majority of them are extreme slackers who enjoy whining about how much work they have (though this is a characteristic shared by many students). The weird thing I've noticed about comp sci students is that, from my experience, none of them are particularly interested in new technology! I've never seen a comp sci with an overly advanced phone or an ipad!

Maybe because buying a limited stuff with half the performance and twice the price of product offered by other brand seem stupid to us ? Maybe :tongue:. Apple stuff are quite limited for the stuff we do, it's easier to work on more open platform as I think most people use their personal computer for research/paper assignment unless they can't do otherwise.

Edit : someone replied before me already :s.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by de_monies
comp sci students?

Virgins. :awesome:

Art students- Paint covered clothes, constantly complain about how "you just don't understand me!"

Philosophy- Hipsters.

Architecture- Constantly pale and stressed looking.
Philosophy - Arrogant dicks Yeah hipster vegan stoners basically, who think that everybody should have to live by a strict set of rules, the kind of person I could never get along with
(edited 12 years ago)
- mostly support left or liberal, sometime sconservative but rarely, I suppose it depends on auniversity
-leaving work till last minute
-drinking entire loan/grant and complaining about being hungry afterwards
- decline of attendance as the academic year goes on
- tending to complain about everything but themselves
Reply 117
Geography students?
Reply 118
Drunk. always and forever.
Original post by Quail

Original post by Quail

What is the linguistics course like? I'm thinking of taking it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending