Opinions on Kent Watch

fohmar7887
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm an international student and Kent is one of the uni's I applied to, archaeology MA program. Any thoughts??
ohokay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nice place. Not a lot to do, but it's close to London (depending on where in Kent you go) which is a life saver.
Not sure on the uni though.
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
its ok, not a big place Canterbury but loads of pubs tbh.

the uni itself is not to bad, plenty of grass and some nice views down on to the town with the cathedral.

you could do a lot worse tbh, though thats not to say you couldn't do any better. I am a local lad as well as a student so ask any more questions if you need to.
Haloface
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Kent is a great university, excellent campus, beautiful setting, and the city is stunning (the centre is a world heritage site). As a top 40 uni it's in the upper third which is great, but some departments are right up the top of their league tables. In History, for example, the department is a top 20 university and 2nd best in the country for research (equal with Oxford). The nightlife is vibrant, and the links to London are top notch.

As you can tell, I did my undergrad there, and loved it. So yes, highly recommend it.
fohmar7887
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone. I have been accepted at Kent and am doing the money scramble now. I got laid off from my job so this presents problems. My student loan will cover the tuition and half of the living expenses international students are required to bring.

Any favorite restaurants to eat at?
fohmar7887
Rep:
?
Landed all my financing. I still need a recommendation for the best burger place, on or near campus.
cinnamon442
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mungos for burgers. It's in Eliot on campus. They do THE most amazing waffles too.
Haloface
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gulbenkian for any food, good prices and healthy variety using local produce!
cinnamon442
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Haloface)
Gulbenkian for any food, good prices and healthy variety using local produce!
Ooh, yes, I second this. They do a lovely breakfast and the best fruit smoothie I've ever had.
fohmar7887
Rep:
?
I checked out Gulbenkian's menu, I'm already hungry.

How about London, cheap places to eat for student day trips. I know London's a big place, but who cares. LOL. I expect to be going to the Museum of London for study, so maybe that area. I'm an older student so I don't need live bands, more like the boring places your parents would go to.
BossManSingh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fohmar7887)
I checked out Gulbenkian's menu, I'm already hungry.

How about London, cheap places to eat for student day trips. I know London's a big place, but who cares. LOL. I expect to be going to the Museum of London for study, so maybe that area. I'm an older student so I don't need live bands, more like the boring places your parents would go to.
I dont think the prices of Canterbury and London are that different tbh.
OllieCPFC
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't plan on going to University of Kent and expect to go to London all the time. It's an hours train ride and will set you back at least £25 each time to get there.

And I can only assume that Canterbury is one of the most perfect places to study Archeology. A lot of medieval buildings etc still standing. And as someone above said, the city itself is a world heritage site.
B.C.De.Souza
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OllieCPFC)
I wouldn't plan on going to University of Kent and expect to go to London all the time. It's an hours train ride and will set you back at least £25 each time to get there.

And I can only assume that Canterbury is one of the most perfect places to study Archeology. A lot of medieval buildings etc still standing. And as someone above said, the city itself is a world heritage site.
People are always going up to London from Canterbury by train or coach; it's one of the great advantages of Canterbury/UKC - its proximity to London and the continent. I personally went on dozens of trips!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (122)
39.74%
No - but I will (16)
5.21%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.51%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.53%

Watched Threads