Thinking about emmigrating to Australia?? Watch

Charlotteeee<3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Me and my boyfriend have always wanted to live in Queensland, and bring our family up out there. We love the culture, climate, atmosphere, and pretty much everything about it - well compared to where we live now.
Im 17 and he is 18 and we have been talking about it for so long, we just want it to become a reality. Maybe move out there within the next 5 years?
Does anyone know of anybody who has done this before? I know you need a profession to get a visa, and some others say you also need a sponsor. Does anyone know what you actually need to do, and how we would go about planning it?
gemini89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Once you are both over 18 the best thing to do is apply for a Working Holiday Visa. This is valid for one year and you can work (most likely doing casual jobs) and live anywhere in Australia. This is your best option as you can go over there and experience what it's like to live there, while not committing to anything. You can apply online and there is a unlimited number available to UK citizens, so it's a very easy process.
If you wanted to stay longer than a year, you can extend it to two years if you're willing to do three months agricultural work i.e. fruit picking or farm work.

If you still want to live in Australia after that, then you need to either be sponsored by an employer (who is willing to prove that there is no citizen in Australia who could do the job better than you) or get into a profession which is on their skills shortage list...i.e. teacher, doctor, chef, plumber, bricklayer etc.
Charlotteeee<3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by gemini89)
Once you are both over 18 the best thing to do is apply for a Working Holiday Visa. This is valid for one year and you can work (most likely doing casual jobs) and live anywhere in Australia. This is your best option as you can go over there and experience what it's like to live there, while not committing to anything. You can apply online and there is a unlimited number available to UK citizens, so it's a very easy process.
If you wanted to stay longer than a year, you can extend it to two years if you're willing to do three months agricultural work i.e. fruit picking or farm work.

If you still want to live in Australia after that, then you need to either be sponsored by an employer (who is willing to prove that there is no citizen in Australia who could do the job better than you) or get into a profession which is on their skills shortage list...i.e. teacher, doctor, chef, plumber, bricklayer etc.
Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was after
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads