Electrophili addition = heterolytic fission Watch

Ari Ben Canaan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just a small confirmation I require here.

In the electrophilic addition of H-Br to an alkene there is a movement of electrons from the Hydrgoen (in H-Br) to the Bromine.

This would be considered heterolytic fission, correct ?

Also, there are two dative bonds formed in the addition of H-Br.

C-->H and C<---Br correct ?

EDIT : One other thing.

The lone pairs in the cyanide ion are on the CARBON and so is the negative charge, correct ?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 19
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
Just a small confirmation I require here.

In the electrophilic addition of H-Br to an alkene there is a movement of electrons from the Hydrgoen (in H-Br) to the Bromine.

This would be considered heterolytic fission, correct ?
Yes.

Also, there are two dative bonds formed in the addition of H-Br.

C-->H and C<---Br correct ?
No, not really.

EDIT : One other thing.

The lone pairs in the cyanide ion are on the CARBON and so is the negative charge, correct ?
There are two sets of lone pairs - one on each atom, but the formal charge resides on the carbon :yes:
ilovedubstep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is heterolytic fission correct. And you're right about the dative bonds as well. Not sure where you got the cyanide ion from though.
Ari Ben Canaan
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Yes.

No, not really.

There are two sets of lone pairs - one on each atom, but the formal charge resides on the carbon :yes:
I'm pretty sure there are some dative bonds formed formed somewhere in the mechanism.

(Original post by ilovedubstep)
It is heterolytic fission correct. And you're right about the dative bonds as well. Not sure where you got the cyanide ion from though.
Two conflicting answers here.
ilovedubstep
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, not really.
The H Br splits into H+(0 Electrons) and Br-(8 Electrons). So when the hydrogen bonds with the carbon it must be a dative bond. Likewise with the bromide ion.
EierVonSatan
Report 7 years ago
The H Br splits into H+(0 Electrons) and Br-(8 Electrons). So when the hydrogen bonds with the carbon it must be a dative bond. Likewise with the bromide ion.
I suppose so, but just about every bond formed in organic chemistry will be a 'dative bond' - but nobody draws it as such. The distinction is pointless :dontknow:
ilovedubstep
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I suppose so, but just about every bond formed in organic chemistry will be a 'dative bond' - but nobody draws it as such. The distinction is pointless :dontknow:
He didn't say whether to draw it as such, he asked whether they were dative bonds. Which they are.
EierVonSatan
Report 7 years ago
He didn't say whether to draw it as such, he asked whether they were dative bonds. Which they are.
Fine. I'll not bother in future
Ari Ben Canaan
Rep:
?
I sense a slightly tense atmosphere. Anyways, gentleman, thank you both for your points of view.

I've taken all of them into account. Much obliged !
taunt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

is cholrine and ethene reaction a heterolytic bond fission???
EierVonSatan
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by taunt)
is cholrine and ethene reaction a heterolytic bond fission???
The Cl-Cl bond is broken heterolytically yes.
taunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Cl-Cl bond is broken heterolytically yes.

eh?

I thought because they are same atom, so its homolytic, I dont understand why they are heterolytic lol
Im bordeerline suicidal lol, I cant seem to get anything lol
and iv got my exam on friday.......
EierVonSatan
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by taunt)
eh?

I thought because they are same atom, so its homolytic, I dont understand why they are heterolytic lol
Im bordeerline suicidal lol, I cant seem to get anything lol
and iv got my exam on friday.......
Homo = same
Hetero = different

Cl2 is a homonuclear diatomic = A molecule made of two atoms, where both atoms are the same element.

But the bond can be split either evenly or unevenly regarding where the electrons go. When Cl2 reacts with ethene, the double bond induces a polarisation in the Cl-CL bond...then the electrons move from the bond to one of the chlorines (pushed by the electrons from ethene). So one chlorine ends up with both electrons from the bond and the other with no electrons. This is heterolytic fission as the two atoms have different numbers of electrons after the bond is broken. Clearer?
taunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Homo = same
Hetero = different

Cl2 is a homonuclear diatomic = A molecule made of two atoms, where both atoms are the same element.

But the bond can be split either evenly or unevenly regarding where the electrons go. When Cl2 reacts with ethene, the double bond induces a polarisation in the Cl-CL bond...then the electrons move from the bond to one of the chlorines (pushed by the electrons from ethene). So one chlorine ends up with both electrons from the bond and the other with no electrons. This is heterolytic fission as the two atoms have different numbers of electrons after the bond is broken. Clearer?

yep

Thankyou......................
illusionz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Homo = same
highest occupied molecular orbital :P

Yes, I'm being annoying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.25%
No - but I will (74)
7.49%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (477)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise