The Student Room Group

C1 Solomon question

Edit: Solved - post 5.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
You're on the right lines. You know the equation of the curve is y=x^2-3x+5, so you should be able to find dy/dx.

Now, dy/dx tells you the gradient of the tangent line to the curve at a given point. You need to find the gradient of the tangent line at the point Q - can you see how to do that?
Reply 2
Differentiate equation of the curve, sub in the x value at Q. This will give you the gradient at Q also. So sub that and the coordinates of Q into equation of a straight line. Solve for C. Bingo, you have the equation.
Reply 3
Original post by PoliticallyDiverse
Hey everyone, I have the question (as below) and cannot figure out how you do question (c).

For a and b, respectively, I have the answers:

(a) P(1,3),Q(4,9)P(1,3), Q(4,9)

(b) gradient =1:y3=1(x1)= -1: y-3=-1(x-1)

y3=x+1y-3=-x+1

y=4xy=4-x

I've tried dydx\frac{dy}{dx} for (c), but to no avail - could someone assist me, please? :redface:

for c), did you work out the gradient at using dy/dx at Q, and then plugged that value into the general equation of a straight line?
Original post by Mark13
You're on the right lines. You know the equation of the curve is y=x^2-3x+5, so you should be able to find dy/dx.

Now, dy/dx tells you the gradient of the tangent line to the curve at a given point. You need to find the gradient of the tangent line at the point Q - can you see how to do that?

Wow, that seems like I've just missed something extremely simple... :colondollar:

Would it be:

y=x23x5y=x^2 - 3x -5

dydx=2x3\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x - 3

2(4)3=52(4)-3 = 5

y9=5(x4)y-9=5(x-4)

y4=5x20y-4=5x-20

y=5x11y=5x-11? :smile:
Hey everyone, I have the question (as below) and cannot figure out how you do question (c).

For a and b, respectively, I have the answers:

(a) P(1,3),Q(4,9)P(1,3), Q(4,9)

(b) gradient =1:y3=1(x1)= -1: y-3=-1(x-1)

y3=x+1y-3=-x+1

y=4xy=4-x

I've tried dydx\frac{dy}{dx} for (c), but to no avail - could someone assist me, please? :redface:

Method:

1) differentiate the equation of the curve
2) substitute the x co-ordinate of the point you want to find the tangent at ( x co-ordinate of Q in this case) into dydx\frac{dy}{dx}
3) What you will get is the gradient of the tangent. Use yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1), where x1x_1 is the x co-ordinate, y1y_1 is the y co-ordinate and m is the gradient to find the equation of the tangent.
Wow, that seems like I've just missed something extremely simple... :colondollar:

Would it be:

y=x23x5y=x^2 - 3x -5

dydx=2x3\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x - 3

2(4)3=52(4)-3 = 5

y9=5(x4)y-9=5(x-4)

y4=5x20y-4=5x-20

y=5x11y=5x-11? :smile:

Well done.
Reply 7
What exactly has it got to do with Solomon?
Original post by joshgoldman
What exactly has it got to do with Solomon?

It's from a Solomon paper...
Reply 9
It's from a Solomon paper...

There's a board called Solomon? Coooooool.

Quick Reply

Latest