Want red hair but have a question... Watch

The Procrastinator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ello

Okay well my hair is naturally a rubbish mousy colour but I colour it dark brown. I have about two or three inches of regrowth of mousy blonde/brown. How do I dye my hair red that will come out evenly? I don't want to bleach it if possible. Could I like put the red dye on the dark part of my hair then towards the end stick some on my roots for 5-10 mins?

Also can red go drastically wrong?

I wanted this red colour...

It's not too bright which is fine because this is my first time

Thanks!
heartskippedabeat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd go to a hairdressers and have it done. It might be more expensive but I think it would be worth it for the first time just to make sure nothing goes wrong and your roots are done properly, then you can do it yourself
irina793
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
go to a salon!! you won't get it right by yourself.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Getting rid of the original dye is your best bet - bleach it or grow it out.
Aozora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will proberbly have to bleach it (go to a salon for an even job) then if you want dye it at home.
Though I wouldn't use a box dye from a supermarket, they are crap for red.

I think this is the colour ( or near enough ) you're looking for http://www.beeunique.co.uk/index.php...&products_id=7

This brand of hair dye is very good but not permenant its a semi and you will need to top it up regulary.
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ask a hairdressers to strip out the old colour and then dye over the top, although this is pretty bad for your hair.
rosiegarden
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try to get most of your existing colour out using a strong shampoo (like Head and Shoulders) or washing up liquid. The lighter your hair is, the brighter the colour will be. Try to get your current hair colour as even as possible, if you need to, put a semi-permanent colour on the roots so they match the rest of your hair, otherwise you will get a patchy red colour.

Use a dye like the Schwarzkopf Live XXL brand, they're not too expensive but they have really vivid results. Then use a shampoo/conditioner designed for coloured hair. You could also mix some dye with your conditioner so you keep topping up your colour whenever you use it.

I really like that red colour, good luck with it!
Jar of Hearts
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went from darkbrown to red on my own. No bleach or anything.
I didnt go to the hairdressers because every time they did my red in the past it faded really quick.

I got colour XXL red passion i think it was called, put it on for the time it said and it came out a tiny bit darker than that. But then I dyed it again and it came out brighter like in that picture. I duno about the roots... mines are a light brown, and they don't look different to the rest of my hair once i've dyed over them. I've had red hair since like 2009 now haha. Reminds me to buy some more dye...
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by heartskippedabeat)
I'd go to a hairdressers and have it done. It might be more expensive but I think it would be worth it for the first time just to make sure nothing goes wrong and your roots are done properly, then you can do it yourself

(Original post by irina793)
go to a salon!! you won't get it right by yourself.

(Original post by Ice_Queen)
Getting rid of the original dye is your best bet - bleach it or grow it out.

(Original post by Aozora)
You will proberbly have to bleach it (go to a salon for an even job) then if you want dye it at home.
Though I wouldn't use a box dye from a supermarket, they are crap for red.

I think this is the colour ( or near enough ) you're looking for http://www.beeunique.co.uk/index.php...;products_id=7

This brand of hair dye is very good but not permenant its a semi and you will need to top it up regulary.

(Original post by kat2pult)
Ask a hairdressers to strip out the old colour and then dye over the top, although this is pretty bad for your hair.

(Original post by rosiegarden)
Try to get most of your existing colour out using a strong shampoo (like Head and Shoulders) or washing up liquid. The lighter your hair is, the brighter the colour will be. Try to get your current hair colour as even as possible, if you need to, put a semi-permanent colour on the roots so they match the rest of your hair, otherwise you will get a patchy red colour.

Use a dye like the Schwarzkopf Live XXL brand, they're not too expensive but they have really vivid results. Then use a shampoo/conditioner designed for coloured hair. You could also mix some dye with your conditioner so you keep topping up your colour whenever you use it.

I really like that red colour, good luck with it!
Hmm the salon idea is probably the best. There's no way I'm bleaching myself....been there....horrendous!

To the last poster, I do actually always wash my hair with vosene (I have no shower, it's quick to rinse out) and my hair never seems to get lighter, which is odd!

I suppose one expensive do at the hairdressers will be the only time I have to go. I can continue the colour myself afterwards (hopefully). I need to get this done, I'm always thinking about it!! Thanks guys!
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jar of Hearts)
I went from darkbrown to red on my own. No bleach or anything.
I didnt go to the hairdressers because every time they did my red in the past it faded really quick.

I got colour XXL red passion i think it was called, put it on for the time it said and it came out a tiny bit darker than that. But then I dyed it again and it came out brighter like in that picture. I duno about the roots... mines are a light brown, and they don't look different to the rest of my hair once i've dyed over them. I've had red hair since like 2009 now haha. Reminds me to buy some more dye...
Conflicting messege arghh!! Now I don't know what to do. I would prefer to do it without bleach but the red is so bright I'm sure it would be a distaster to do on my own. Don't suppose you have pics of what it was like the first time you did it?
T-go
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I always dye over other dye and it's fine for me. You could try one of those colour strippers from SuperDrug or somewhere, I don't know how good they are though. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a professional job, you could just go in and ask for advice though?
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by T-go)
I always dye over other dye and it's fine for me. You could try one of those colour strippers from SuperDrug or somewhere, I don't know how good they are though. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a professional job, you could just go in and ask for advice though?
What colour are your root though? I'm worried I will have bright roots and the rest barely red
T-go
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Procrastinator)
What colour are your root though? I'm worried I will have bright roots and the rest barely red
My roots are light brown and I dye my hair dark brown. So, maybe the colour isn't as different as it is for you if yours is dark blonde. Maybe try a stripper then?
Limitless
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What is with every girl getting red hair, stupid rihanna it just looks messed up.
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Limitless)
What is with every girl getting red hair, stupid rihanna it just looks messed up.
I dunno but this has nothing to do with Rihanna in my book! I'm not even a fan.
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by T-go)
My roots are light brown and I dye my hair dark brown. So, maybe the colour isn't as different as it is for you if yours is dark blonde. Maybe try a stripper then?
It will probably be okay...I will buy dark brown as well just incase it goes horribly wrong I have 3 days off work so I better get trying it out
owliver
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lush. "Caca Rouge" Beautiful. (Henna ftw.)
Limitless
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dunno but this has nothing to do with Rihanna in my book! I'm not even a fan.
Yeah, but all the girls I know started doing it after rihanna so I thought like it was because of her.
T-go
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It will probably be okay...I will buy dark brown as well just incase it goes horribly wrong I have 3 days off work so I better get trying it out
Haha, good luck!
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Limitless)
Yeah, but all the girls I know started doing it after rihanna so I thought like it was because of her.
Oh right Not a fan then? I love red hair! It can look a bit **** though sometimes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads