The Student Room Group

Is there any point studying BSC economics at a expoly University (Bradford)

at a Plate glass university (CORRECTION) even if you get a first backed up with lots of experience and get an MBA at a prestigous university
(edited 12 years ago)
Depends what you want to do with it.
Reply 2
Bradford is so bad a University?I know that many people apply for its courses every year.The funniest is the prospectus.In many courses they promise up to 96% employment which is a joke.
Yes if you get a 1st from Bradford you will have still done a decent curriculum and you'd be eligible to go for the government type roles (Govt Econ Service, Bank of England etc), or accountancy firms etc, which you wouldn't if you didn't have a degree - or got a 2:2 from a 'top' uni...

You won't have much chance of investment banking, which is what everyone on TSR wants to do, which is why you will get told on TSR that it will be a 'waste of money' and you should accept life working in a hair and beauty salon instead
Depends if you like your women caked in make-up, or not.

Oh wait, you're asking about Bradford UNI? Yes, there is a point. It's probably not the same as a first from LSE, but a first from Bradford would be better than a third/2.2 from an average uni.

Especially, if you back it up with lots of experience.
Reply 5
All this sick discrimination between 2.1 and 2.2 is getting on my nerves.Really how a degree from Manchester Metropolitan is considered comparable to Manchester Business School or how a degree from Middlesex could be compared to LSE??

I am graduating from Manchester Business School in Bsc (Hons) Management.I expect a 2.2..I fortunately have a 2.1 from a 4 year course in Accountancy in Greece..But the whole selection system in employment is wrong.
Reply 6
Original post by Rivaldo_23
Bradford is so bad a University?I know that many people apply for its courses every year.The funniest is the prospectus.In many courses they promise up to 96% employment which is a joke.

Well, even if McDonald's counted as an employment prospect ...
All this sick discrimination between 2.1 and 2.2 is getting on my nerves.Really how a degree from Manchester Metropolitan is considered comparable to Manchester Business School or how a degree from Middlesex could be compared to LSE??

Wonder if you'd still be saying that if you were getting a 2:1 or a 1st...
Reply 8
Let me tell you how the system works in Greece.In Greece you apply to multinationals like Delitte,PWC,KPMG and to start your career they ask minimum a bachelor's degree from a respected university.They invite you for interview.They ask you what you studied but the next question is if you have work experience.Work experience should be valued more.

And yes I know that here in UK it is about the same.Most of companies ask a 2.1 for their prestigious graduate schemes,however when you apply as an experienced and not for graduate places the process is different.If you apply let's say for KPMG and you have 2-3 years work experience as an accounts assistant especially if you are ACCA or ACA or CIMA qualified they will not care about your degree grade...
Original post by miss_sexy
even if u get a 1st class, backed up with lots of experience

Bradford is not an ex-Poly University. Bradford is a plate glass university like Warwick, York and Essex.
Depends entirely what you wish to do with your life having graduated
Let me tell you how the system works in Greece.In Greece you apply to multinationals like Delitte,PWC,KPMG and to start your career they ask minimum a bachelor's degree from a respected university.They invite you for interview.They ask you what you studied but the next question is if you have work experience.Work experience should be valued more.

And yes I know that here in UK it is about the same.Most of companies ask a 2.1 for their prestigious graduate schemes,however when you apply as an experienced and not for graduate places the process is different.If you apply let's say for KPMG and you have 2-3 years work experience as an accounts assistant especially if you are ACCA or ACA or CIMA qualified they will not care about your degree grade...

Remember the Big 4 over here have a lot more graduates applying for them than they do in Greece, so they can set the filters higher.
Reply 12
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Remember the Big 4 over here have a lot more graduates applying for them than they do in Greece, so they can set the filters higher.

Let me explain in a different way.Ok the big 4(I guess Ernst&Young,Deloitte,KPMG,Grant Thornton or who else) ask a minimum 2.1.Let's say that 120000 including me that I have a 2.1 from greece apply for the graduate scheme.You need things beyond the 2.1 or first.For example I have 1 year work experience in Accountancy.I did 6 months internship at the National Bank of Greece,I worked 2 months internship in a small accountancy firm etc..Someone may not have experience but he may be part qualified for the ACCA.

Every person has a different profile.And every applicant should be assessed according to his skills and competencies.Me for example I was invited by Ernst and Young and Grant Thornton to do the online test (psychometric tests) and I passed while others of a 2.1 degree did not pass.Unfortunately they rejected me at the stage of phone interview.But this is life..

And I don't try to reduce the value of someone's 1st or 2.1.My congratulations to all these people that are more clever and probably more skilled than me in academics.I wish I could get high marks as well.But there are other factors preventing me as well..You know I run on a very limited budget and I have to work up to 35 hours a week because you see my parents are not able to help me.When I say work I don't refer to barwork or sales assistant.I couldn't find these jobs and I work without insurance and I carry cargoes,to the trucks.I also travelled to Liverpool and I worked to the harbour,I do babysitting and other things and I also have to study..

I also believe it is not fair to consider all universities equal because other universities provide better quality of studies and they are really tough even to graduate while other universities due to factors like teaching staff,lower entry criteria etc they may be easier..I accept that every institution has its own role in education and I respect that but...
Reply 13
:smile:
Original post by The Blond Viking
Depends entirely what you wish to do with your life having graduated
Reply 14

It is true. Although it doesn't tell you that most of them are on Tesco checkouts.
Reply 15

I am graduating from Manchester Business School in Bsc (Hons) Management.I expect a 2.2..I fortunately have a 2.1 from a 4 year course in Accountancy in Greece..But the whole selection system in employment is wrong.

How is it wrong?
Employers care about how you are currently performing, not how you performed in the past. A first from management at manchester met would be looked at in a similar level to your 2:2.
Reply 16
Original post by Fynch101
How is it wrong?
Employers care about how you are currently performing, not how you performed in the past. A first from management at manchester met would be looked at in a similar level to your 2:2.

Everything counts.At least from my experience multinationals and other firms did not care much that i expect a 2.2 close to 2.1 (if not a 2.1).And they asked me to do the psychometric tests and I was also invited in 2 interviews.

There aren't many people with 2 undergraduate degrees.And I didn't go for a second degree for fun or to collect more degrees but I ma really interested in Management.

Quick Reply