When is suicide right? Watch

This discussion is closed.
cvqw1278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I personally believe that one should only commit suicide when they have a long term terminal illness that is making their lives misery, when they know they will eventually end up a vegetable.
I think people who commit suicide, without warning or comforting loved ones, through depression or heartbreak are, to put it strongly, are selfish cowards.
They leave their parents, brothers, sisters, friends, partners in complete agony, wondering what they did wrong to drive them to commit suicide. They leave them in eternal mourning and worrying 'what if', 'what if I hadn't done that, what if I payed more attention to them'. It leaves people distraught for life, just because they couldn't handle the pressure, and wanted to abort.
Ok, when people are under immense pressure and are severley depressed then I can sympathise, but I hear so many stories of people commiting suicide without consulting and comforting others first. Are they too scared to confront their loved ones?

I am in no way against assisted suicide or suicide when it is done properly, with others in mind. I just wonder what others' views are on the matter of people commiting suicide out of the blue and leaving people lost and distressed.
Thanks for reading.
surina_xxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it's never right
viksta1000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
when you choose not to do it!
Thrug
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you're Adolf Hitler.
canimakeit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When your saving lives

"Don't worry run I will get the bomb out of this building!!"
vicky_1234
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am for euthanasia, when the person has no quality of life and wants it to end.

I'm not exactly a fan of suicide but I do understand why people do it when they are depressed, I've been that low before, but I agree it is selfish to leave a loving family behind. However there is no way of getting inside that person's mind, so it's wrong to brand them cowards, mental illness isn't always obvious to spot.
Flying Scotsman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by surina_xxx)
it's never right
What about when you have a painful terminal illness?
Anonymous #1
Report 7 years ago
It depends how it's done as well. I think that euthanasia/suicide is completely fine and understandable, although still very sad, in some situations. I do disagree when people jump in front of trains and that kind of thing though - they will be dead, but in the process will have emotionally scarred many innocent strangers.
If they're going to kill themselves, they shouldn't make other people see it, unless it is something more organised, like going to Switzerland with family to be there for you.
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never. Even if you think it is best for you, if you think of your family and friends, they would be the ones suffering. Thinking of my mum and dad I would never even consider suicide just for the reason how they would feel.
Liam 09
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the only reason I think I would ever consider it is, like you said, if I had a terrible dehabilitating illness that would leave me effectively dead already.

However I don't judge any other reasons for committing suicide by others, unless it involves convincing others to commit suicide i.e. cult mass suicides.
surina_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flying Scotsman)
What about when you have a painful terminal illness?
I suppose that's acceptable
but some people commit suicide because they think their life sucks when they're just being selfish and acting like a coward when all it's going to do is hurt the people that love you
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It doesn't matter whether you are against it or not, people are still going to do it. Thus having an opinion on it is entirely pointless and a waste of time & energy.
cvqw1278
Rep:
?
(Original post by surina_xxx)
I suppose that's acceptable
but some people commit suicide because they think their life sucks when they're just being selfish and acting like a coward when all it's going to do is hurt the people that love you
This is exactly how I feel towards it.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it's ever 'right' if by 'right' you mean it's the most sensible, rational choice to make.
Light.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thomas...)
I personally believe that one should only commit suicide when they have a long term terminal illness that is making their lives misery, when they know they will eventually end up a vegetable.
I think people who commit suicide, without warning or comforting loved ones, through depression or heartbreak are, to put it strongly, are selfish cowards.
They leave their parents, brothers, sisters, friends, partners in complete agony, wondering what they did wrong to drive them to commit suicide. They leave them in eternal mourning and worrying 'what if', 'what if I hadn't done that, what if I payed more attention to them'. It leaves people distraught for life, just because they couldn't handle the pressure, and wanted to abort.
Ok, when people are under immense pressure and are severley depressed then I can sympathise, but I hear so many stories of people commiting suicide without consulting and comforting others first. Are they too scared to confront their loved ones?

I am in no way against assisted suicide or suicide when it is done properly, with others in mind. I just wonder what others' views are on the matter of people commiting suicide out of the blue and leaving people lost and distressed.
Thanks for reading.
Do you have any idea what there are going through to make a decision like that?
surina_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thomas...)
This is exactly how I feel towards it.
I mainly think it due to personal experience!
cvqw1278
Rep:
?
(Original post by Light.)
Do you have any idea what there are going through to make a decision like that?
As a matter of fact, through personal experience, yes, very much so.
A level Az
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never
Darcy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People consider suicide in order to become free from suffering. The suffering does not disappear but instead is transferred from the person to all their loved ones.
However difficult it is for a person, it is better to be burdened with pain rather than let family and friends all carry that burden for them after they are departed.
Stratos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When is suicide wrong?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads