provisional lisence Watch

demesto
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Can you drive on A roads as opposed to M roads (motorways) so long as you have L plates and someone with a full driving lisence? Or are A roads also the motorway?
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by demesto)
Can you drive on A roads as opposed to M roads (motorways) so long as you have L plates and someone with a full driving lisence? Or are A roads also the motorway?
And if you have insurance.
cvqw1278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can drive on A Roads just fine. Unless my instructor was a complete rebel!

No, I am pretty sure the only road that is off limits is a motorway.
mjharmstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah you can, as long as you have someone who has had a license for 3 years, is over 21 and have L plates on both the front and back of the car. It's a good idea to practice on 60 mph and 70 mph roads (that you're allowed on, so basically A and B roads!) because whilst you'll never get them on the test (the max is 50 on the test), it's great practice for when you pass.
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as the signs are green and not blue generally. Some A roads are motorways but they usually have an (M) e.g. A1(M)
demesto
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
K, cheers guys
fruit_n_veg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mjharmstone)
Yeah you can, as long as you have someone who has had a license for 3 years, is over 21 and have L plates on both the front and back of the car. It's a good idea to practice on 60 mph and 70 mph roads (that you're allowed on, so basically A and B roads!) because whilst you'll never get them on the test (the max is 50 on the test), it's great practice for when you pass.
Since when has there been a 50mph limit? I went down 60mph roads on my practical driving test nearly 6 years ago...
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is wrong, examiners like to see you drive in a varierty of situations, in my test a year back I went down a dual carriageway, which is 70mph.
S23a
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muffingg)
And if you have insurance.
Insurance!
AnonyMatt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fruit_n_veg)
Since when has there been a 50mph limit? I went down 60mph roads on my practical driving test nearly 6 years ago...
There's no limit. Half the routes at the test centre near me include a dual carriageway.
Perhaps the poster was just confused because their test centre had no nearby roads that were >50.
mjharmstone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fruit_n_veg)

(Original post by Elwyn)
This is wrong, examiners like to see you drive in a varierty of situations, in my test a year back I went down a dual carriageway, which is 70mph.
This is just from my experience - the max they take you at my centre is 50.
fruit_n_veg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is just from my experience - the max they take you at my centre is 50.
Oh, fair enough then!
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
I hope you haven't passed your theory test yet...
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AnonyMatt)
There's no limit. Half the routes at the test centre near me include a dual carriageway.
Perhaps the poster was just confused because their test centre had no nearby roads that were >50.
There is a limit of 45mph in Northern Ireland.
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)
There is a limit of 45mph in Northern Ireland.
I still don't understand that rule - means young drivers are going to travel at 70 mph with no one in the car, never having gone faster than 45mph while training - meaning they may underestimate how to control the car. Also, they're travelling extremely slowly compared to other traffic - a danger!
Walter Ego
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FXX)
I hope you haven't passed your theory test yet...
Probably has, but like so many will have just learnt answers to questions instead of reading the book and learning the theory and reasoning behind the answers. Oh, and your accompanying driver must be over 21 and held a full license for more than 3 years, the car must be adequately insured and displaying L plates.
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chriscpritchard)
I still don't understand that rule - means young drivers are going to travel at 70 mph with no one in the car, never having gone faster than 45mph while training - meaning they may underestimate how to control the car. Also, they're travelling extremely slowly compared to other traffic - a danger!
They won't be driving at 70mph until a year after they've passed their test.

It's to teach them to handle the car first before they drive at higher speeds. Issue is, most people ignore the rule anyway.

However, the same problems arise for anyone who lives in an area where there are no 70mph/60mph roads.
Walter Ego
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is a 70mph D/C used in the test routes for Horsforth (Leeds) test centre, and my instructor used to take me on it and encourage me to get to 70 regularly. People have often been failed for not going quick enough on there and causing a danger to others, forcing them to have to overtake an unnecessarily slow vehicle.
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)
They won't be driving at 70mph until a year after they've passed their test.

It's to teach them to handle the car first before they drive at higher speeds. Issue is, most people ignore the rule anyway.

However, the same problems arise for anyone who lives in an area where there are no 70mph/60mph roads.
yeah, but handling the car at lower speed is different from doing it at higher speed and I feel that doing it with someone else in the car is really needed first. Most places do have 60/70mph roads, the only real place I can think of that doesn't is central london really, they have some busy 50mph roads though, and once the student has passed their test they have the option of doing pass plus, which covers motorway driving at 70mph!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads