New shoes that rub :( Watch

PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I bought a lovely pair of flats for my placement in May, and they fit really well apart from the fact that the left one rubs me on just the one toe. I wore them out for the first time today to try and soften them up a bit.

I really want to wear them, but apart from covering my foot in blister plasters I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Smelly Ellie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Put some surgical spirit on that area before you go to bed, will toughen it up and make it harder to blister But some shoes just always hurt, and you might need plasters!
supernova92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a pair of shoes, they hurt SO much, and then suddenly they are just the most comfortable pair of flats i own haha.
So maybe just wear them a bit more.. The plaster thing always worked for me as well. Sorry not much help here
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
have you got tights, socks, pop socks on with them? That usually stops shoes rubbing
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Goose)
have you got tights, socks, pop socks on with them? That usually stops shoes rubbing
I bought some pop socks today to wear with them.

I was very organised today and brought some socks with me just in case they rubbed, and that helped, but my feet were already sore so they still hurt a bit.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I bought some pop socks today to wear with them.

I was very organised today and brought some socks with me just in case they rubbed, and that helped, but my feet were already sore so they still hurt a bit.
once the skin heals it shouldn't hurt again with some socks, pop socks. Even the comfiest shoes can run blisters if you have nothing else on your feet.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
once the skin heals it shouldn't hurt again with some socks, pop socks. Even the comfiest shoes can run blisters if you have nothing else on your feet.
That's probably why, and they're pretty stiff material too which didn't help.
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Apparently rubbing a potato on it helps, but I've never tried.
vicky_1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Put some thick bed socks on and walk around the house wearing the shoes, I heard that's supposed to break them in a bit?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
(Original post by mel0n)
Apparently rubbing a potato on it helps, but I've never tried.
On the shoe or the foot? :beard:
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On the shoe or the foot? :beard:
The shoe, presumably! (Not the outer part of the potato, you'd probably have to cut a chunk... I've read some people saying that you should leave it in the shoe overnight as the starch helps the leather to expand, but rubbing it might help too)

You could try using a dry bar of soap too I think I've done that before :beard:

Or a large dollop of vaseline but I don't know if you're meant to rub it on your foot or the edge of the shoe..
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's probably why, and they're pretty stiff material too which didn't help.
Are they leather? will the give/ stretch a little over time?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Are they leather? will the give/ stretch a little over time?
No, they aren't. They've got very 'pinched' heel backs, which I think is to help keep the shoes on your foot.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, they aren't. They've got very 'pinched' heel backs, which I think is to help keep the shoes on your foot.
ooh - I always bend those down a bit the the palm of my hand so they're more rounded
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads