Wedding Vows: Love, Honour but not Obey? Watch

Poll: In marriage one should:
Love, Honour and Obey one's husband (5)
41.67%
Love and Honour one's husband, 'obedience' is best left to man's best friend.. (7)
58.33%
TSR George
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Sorry to jump on the Royal Wedding bandwagon, people must be getting sick of all that carry on by now but.. as a slightly philosophical aside:

Granted the Royal Wedding is a special set of circumstances but when I heard this it made me think, how would I react if my wife-to-be made a point of wanting to retract the last traditional term, 'Obey', from her marriage vows?..

..what do y'all think about this? Are there any who see 'obedience' as an integral part of marriage (in the 21st century)?

If we start making little alterations here and there does this devalue the sanctity of marriage or upset/insult cultural traditions of matremony? Should instead both partners have to answer to the 'obey' vow? :holmes:
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mine better obey. I want my goddamn sammich.
My name is URL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No doubt the staunch anti-feminist brigade will hunt down this thread with their hilarious and orginal sandwich quips. :facepalm2:
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
N0doubt.
My name is URL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Foo.mp3)
You sound as though you're tired of sanwich quips? Unfortunately I have not long since discovered them so the novelty has yet to wear off

Methinks women need a comeback quip, how about: "Go put a shelf up *****"
Or perhaps both genders could move on with this pathetic 'battle of the sexes' war and get on with their lives. :facepalm2:

In response to the question, it's my personal conviction I wouldn't want anyone to obey me, or me to obey anyone. A spouse is not a servant. Others might disagree with me, but as long as both parties consent to the arrangment I don't think it's anyone else's business what goes on inside your home.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads