New Conductor - Repertoire? Watch

Bladey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm hoping to move towards conducting more and more when I go to Nottingham University next year and have been promised opportunity to conduct orchestras by the tutors there, what sort of music makes good solid first repertoire?
So far I've done some Dvorak Slavonic Dances and Saint-Saens Danse Macabre plus some more mundane stuff. Is there anything that isn't too difficult to get good but also doesn't leave the conductor as more of a human metronome?
Thanks
jsb123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've only ever conducted choirs, which is quite involved. A conductor's repertoire is determined by what he likes and what he thinks the orchestra can play. Pick a selection of pieces that you like or are familiar with, and then see which ones they take to. Stick to classical/romantic music to begin with. If you liked Dvorak, try one of the symphonies. 'From the New World' is the most well known, and not particulary difficult to play.
Haeron
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sibelius Karelia Suite probably. Depends on the quality of the orchestra really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed