Psychology -> IB = possible? Watch

nunugab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm currently studying Psychology and i was just wondering if there is any sector within IB which is rather keen on recruiting psych graduates? I've been told that psych graduates are quite appealing in the financial world. Obviously I'm not naive and I already know that a psych graduate would be unable to land a top FO job within investment bank but surely there must be a sector which recruites us? ;p

Btw, I did post this question in the giant 'is this course/school good enough' but failed to get a reply.
goodboy4444
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have heard that university is much more important than what course you study.The target universities are Oxbridge,UCL,imperial,LSE and warwick.But in my opinion a 1st from any non target,top 20 university and a good CV should atleast get you some interviews.BTW...which university are you studying at??
nunugab
Rep:
?
(Original post by goodboy4444)
I have heard that university is much more important than what course you study.The target universities are Oxbridge,UCL,imperial,LSE and warwick.But in my opinion a 1st from any non target,top 20 university and a good CV should atleast get you some interviews.BTW...which university are you studying at??
University of Bath, yeah I've read alot of that too but there should be a sector within IB which doesn't really require the traditional academic background! A representative for a Scandinavian IB told me that Psych graduates are actually in high demand within IB but I don't remember which positions he said they normally get
qwerty12345678
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Psychology probably has more relevance in trading over IB.
robotic_dancer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
HR
therealOG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by robotic_dancer)
HR
lol I was going to say that
canimakeit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unless you go Oxford or Cambridge I don't see this happening unless you got someone who can help you up :ninja:
nunugab
Rep:
?
Well If I shall pursue this career path then I'd be leaning on heading back to Scandinavia, so perhaps the competition wouldn't be as much there as it is here? So essentially you're saying the only aspect relevant to IB, when possessing a psych degree, is HR or possibly training? I read one Goldman Sachs homepage and they claimed that a role as a new analyst required no financial background!
robotic_dancer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nunugab)
Well If I shall pursue this career path then I'd be leaning on heading back to Scandinavia, so perhaps the competition wouldn't be as much there as it is here? So essentially you're saying the only aspect relevant to IB, when possessing a psych degree, is HR or possibly training? I read one Goldman Sachs homepage and they claimed that a role as a new analyst required no financial background!
This may be true but you need to demonstrate motivation for finance and a good understanding of the markets nonetheless; something harder to do if you are not studying something relevant
gpugh1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pychology drives financial markets, go for it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads