Evening Advanced Higher Biology Watch

meg4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi! I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with my current dilemma. Basically I studied a degree, got a job etc. but have now decided I want to return to uni to do medicine.

For this, I know I need to get Advanced Highers in both Biology and Chemistry so am researching ways to do this. I've already completed a science-based degree so feel that my knowledge of biology is enough to go straight to advanced biology and I think I would need to do a higher in Chemistry before going onto the advanced higher, just to give myself the best chance. Through my research I have only found evening courses available in highers, NOT advanced highers (in the short term, looking at the advanced higher in Biology). But, I can't afford to quit my full time job to attend a college during the day; especially as I will have to pay my way through this degree myself!

Does anybody possibly know of a course that I maybe haven't come across myself? Or have any advice for me on this? I am based in Glasgow but am willing to travel if I can find anywhere in Scotland that might have an evening course in advanced higher biology!!!

Hope you can help

Megan xx
username356927
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by meg4)
Hi! I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with my current dilemma. Basically I studied a degree, got a job etc. but have now decided I want to return to uni to do medicine.

For this, I know I need to get Advanced Highers in both Biology and Chemistry so am researching ways to do this. I've already completed a science-based degree so feel that my knowledge of biology is enough to go straight to advanced biology and I think I would need to do a higher in Chemistry before going onto the advanced higher, just to give myself the best chance. Through my research I have only found evening courses available in highers, NOT advanced highers (in the short term, looking at the advanced higher in Biology). But, I can't afford to quit my full time job to attend a college during the day; especially as I will have to pay my way through this degree myself!

Does anybody possibly know of a course that I maybe haven't come across myself? Or have any advice for me on this? I am based in Glasgow but am willing to travel if I can find anywhere in Scotland that might have an evening course in advanced higher biology!!!

Hope you can help

Megan xx
You don't need either advanced Higher Chemistry or Biology to study medicine at a Scottish university Have a read here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ttish_Students

School leavers are required to do take Chemistry to at least Higher level, but not beyond that. Don't get me wrong, doing AH bio and chem will certainly be useful, and would be good to brush up on your knowledge but they are not set in stone. I only did biology to Higher level myself

Since your degree was in science, I doubt any university would ask you to achieve AH's in science.
chr1stopher11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by meg4)
Could you just do a graduate entry medicine course?

If you did want to do AHs in Glasgow then Cardonald college offer them.

http://www.cardonald.ac.uk/courses/p...vanced_highers

Although it does say it's for widening access for schools but you could still enquire about it Cardonald runs close to a train line that starts at central station so it's accessible by train.
emmills
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey Meg, I know this thread is a bit old; but I'm so glad there seems to be someone else in the same position as me! I'm also a graduate (but in law though so not very sciencey) looking to apply for medicine. The competition for places in medicine applying as a graduate is really tough, when I phoned Glasgow admissions office they said they were looking for recent study of science, and advised me to take my Advanced highers again, as mine are five years old. If you have a science based degree though, its likely that you stand a good chance of getting in. also If you've already applied for places at medschool but want a fallback option you might also consider doing a foundation course in medicine? good luck with whatever you decide!
Little Hobbit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Meg and emmills I'm in the same position as you. I'm at Glasgow uni studying nursing honours degree. I'm just about to go into 3rd year and I'm seriously considering applying for medicine next year, but by the time I apply for places my biology and chemistry highers will be 5 years old, and I got Bs so that isn't brilliant. I'm thinking that I may have to take a year off when I finish my degree and sit my advanced highers.

There are a few places that don't ask for biology and chemistry... I found this website quite helpful but it's probably a good idea to email or phone universities to make sure you'd be considered...
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=152
merryhappy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Little Hobbit)
Hi Meg and emmills I'm in the same position as you. I'm at Glasgow uni studying nursing honours degree. I'm just about to go into 3rd year and I'm seriously considering applying for medicine next year, but by the time I apply for places my biology and chemistry highers will be 5 years old, and I got Bs so that isn't brilliant. I'm thinking that I may have to take a year off when I finish my degree and sit my advanced highers.

There are a few places that don't ask for biology and chemistry... I found this website quite helpful but it's probably a good idea to email or phone universities to make sure you'd be considered...
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=152
Would you really have to spend a yeat doing advanced highers if you have an honours degree though?
Little Hobbit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hope not! I've had a look around and it seems that lots of places want chemistry and biology within 5 years of starting medicine, so my highers will be out of date. I'm going to email admissions at different universities at the end of 3rd year and find out.
emmills
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I phoned Glasgow and they said I had to do them again as they're 5 years old- Edinburgh and Aberdeen didn't seem too fussed though.
martha96v
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows where can I do ADVANCED HIGHER BIOLOGY/ HUMAN BIOLOGY course? I'm based in Edinburgh but I don't mind moving if it's necessary. I was trying to google colleges and high schools but found nothing? I would be grateful if any of you guys could share an idea what should I do...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.84%
No - but I will (110)
7.78%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.79%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise