BOOTMGR is missing Press ctrl+alt+del to restart Watch

Sadian
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I made a topic not long ago at all and I restarted my computer and it turns out it was a much bigger problem than I anticipated. I can't log onto my computer at all and I am now posting from my brother's laptop.

I was just doing what I usually do on my computer when I noticed that my D: drive was missing. My hard drive is separated in the 221GB Packard Bell C: drive and a D: drive of about the same size.

I went to Disk Management and saw that the D: drive wasn't listed while the spade from that partition was still there.

Now I didn't know what to do so I restarted my computer and then I got the error mentioned in the topic title.

Now what the hell do I do? I've researched it and I had two options. Press F8, F5, left SHIFT or CTRL during start up to load up some thingy where you can go through system recovery of some sort and the other option to boot up a Windows 7 CD and fix it that way.

The thing is, I can't do either of these. If I try the former, my Packard Bell iMedia won't respond to either F8, F5, left SHIFT or CTRL. And I didn't get a Windows 7 CD with my computer.

What exactly are my options? What button do Packard Bells need to open up the thingy (not sure, the thingy where it has the option to do stuff safe mode)? And my other question is, how do I make myself a Windows 7 CD to fix my computer?

Your help would be much appreciated, this has kept me up all night from panic and I really need any help possible.
Scott1541
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Obtain a windows 7 recovery disc or install disc for the version that you are running, open the command prompt window on the disc and enter this:

Code:
bootsect /fixmbr
That should do it but you have to get a disc first.

If you can get access to a computer running the same version of Windows 7 (Home Premium/Pro/Ultimate) and the same architecture (32/64 Bit) then you might be able to create a recovery disc or USB with that.

EDIT: This website may help you, http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...tion-dvd-disc/
n65uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest, having these two issues it sounds like to me like the hard drive is failing.

Try the above first, as that could well fix it.

If not, I would try and run: chkdsk /R

Even could be worth downloading a Linux distro and booting from it, and seeing if it can read anything from the drive.
Scott1541
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n65uk)
To be honest, having these two issues it sounds like to me like the hard drive is failing.

Try the above first, as that could well fix it.

If not, I would try and run: chkdsk /R

Even could be worth downloading a Linux distro and booting from it, and seeing if it can read anything from the drive.
Whenever there is a computer problem around here why does everyone automatically assume that it is caused by a failing hard drive? It's ludicrous.

I believe that this problem has been caused by OP trying to get back the missing partition and in the process accidentally messing up the Master Boot Record (MBR), hence the BOOTMGR missing (Missing boot loader) message.

As for the original problem, who knows what caused that to happen.

Computer mysteries... Are fun to solve
maturestudy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I posted earlier on today:

Sounds like your hard disk is on its way out. Backup any important data now!
I hope you did this as all the signs point to an impending hardware failure. Really sorry as I don't think there is much you can do other than replace the drive and try and recover some of the data.

Best of luck!
n65uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scott1541)
Whenever there is a computer problem around here why does everyone automatically assume that it is caused by a failing hard drive? It's ludicrous.

I believe that this problem has been caused by OP trying to get back the missing partition and in the process accidentally messing up the Master Boot Record (MBR), hence the BOOTMGR missing (Missing boot loader) message.

As for the original problem, who knows what caused that to happen.

Computer mysteries... Are fun to solve
Coupled with his other problem, it is possible.

I did not say anything about your solution because it is also a very likely solution...if it's trying to boot to D, rather than C, it's going to fall over.

If you know what a MBR is, I'm sure you also know a single problem on a computer can be *look* as though it's caused by about 10 different things.

Slow startup...most people assume it's a virus...but it could also be loads of services & programs running at startup. It could be overheating. See what I'm trying to say?

Not saying you're wrong so no worries there,
Sadian
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
On my earlier thread, I restarted and my computer didn't come back on. I fixed this problem, however using a Windows 7 recovery disk I made. But my partition is still missing.

(Original post by maturestudy)
I posted earlier on today:

I hope you did this as all the signs point to an impending hardware failure. Really sorry as I don't think there is much you can do other than replace the drive and try and recover some of the data.

Best of luck!
Since my computer just started working again, I haven't had the chance to do this but I will right now! Thanks, but the files on the other partition aren't going to come back, I think. :/

Edit: Also, do you know a good online backup site? I don't trust myself with important physical things.
maturestudy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a free Dropbox 2GB account which does me.
Scott1541
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n65uk)
Coupled with his other problem, it is possible.

I did not say anything about your solution because it is also a very likely solution...if it's trying to boot to D, rather than C, it's going to fall over.

If you know what a MBR is, I'm sure you also know a single problem on a computer can be *look* as though it's caused by about 10 different things.

Slow startup...most people assume it's a virus...but it could also be loads of services & programs running at startup. It could be overheating. See what I'm trying to say?

Not saying you're wrong so no worries there,

I was just stating that generally in threads where there is an issue with someones computer hardware it seems (to me) like certain people just jump to the conclusion that because their computer is not brand new the hard drive is failing, when as you say there could be many possible causes.

I have seen the slow computer = virus one a few times too now you mention it.

Maybe people that don't know what they are talking about should stay out of this section of TSR
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scott1541)
I was just stating that generally in threads where there is an issue with someones computer hardware it seems (to me) like certain people just jump to the conclusion that because their computer is not brand new the hard drive is failing, when as you say there could be many possible causes.

I have seen the slow computer = virus one a few times too now you mention it.

Maybe people that don't know what they are talking about should stay out of this section of TSR
I think it is more understandable in this case that people are jumping to hard drive failure considering one half of the hard drive has simply disappeared, not that I know much about hard drives but it seems reasonable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.52%
No - but I will (61)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (382)
47.45%

Watched Threads