Unfertilised embryos?! Watch

Nator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, just reading about stem cells and came across the term unfertilised embryo, and the book says stem cells can be obtained from unfertilised embryo, which are embryos made from egg cells that haven't been fertilised by sperm. How is this possible? Surely an egg cell needs to be fertilised by sperm to produce an embryo?! What is an unfertilised embryo?
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree, I assume they mean un-implanted embryo maybe?
VaVe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agreed, unfertilised eggs are not embryos and they definitely aren't stem cells. Probably meant un-implanted.
Cyanohydrin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You are absolutely correct - whoever wrote that book should be shot!
Nator
Rep:
?
Thanks for the responses But no it didn't mean un-implanted, because it says that unfertilised embryos are unlikely to survive (they are unviable), hence using them for stem cells can be slightly justified. So I don't get how you can get these unfertilised embryos
VaVe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nator)
Thanks for the responses But no it didn't mean un-implanted, because it says that unfertilised embryos are unlikely to survive (they are unviable), hence using them for stem cells can be slightly justified. So I don't get how you can get these unfertilised embryos
You can't get unfertilised embryos. If an egg is unfertilised then it isn't an embryo.
Nator
Rep:
?
(Original post by VaVe)
You can't get unfertilised embryos. If an egg is unfertilised then it isn't an embryo.
Exactly :confused:
VaVe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nator)
That's why the book you read that in is wrong. It may have meant un-implanted embryos which makes more sense.
Cyanohydrin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nator)
What book is this?
Cyanohydrin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
An embryo is the product of a fertilized egg it cannot be an unfertilised embryo.
Nator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cyanohydrin)
What book is this?
It's the AS Biology CGP Revision Guide
Revd. Mike
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm a bit hazy on the subject, reproductive bio is really not my forté, but I seem to recall reading about a technique in which you can induce a calcium spike into an unfertilized ovum, "tricking" it into thinking it's been fertilized and to start proliferation. It obviously wouldn't be viable (and I imagine would probably not survive long), but I imagine it would give rise to stem cells of some sort.
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
I'm a bit hazy on the subject, reproductive bio is really not my forté, but I seem to recall reading about a technique in which you can induce a calcium spike into an unfertilized ovum, "tricking" it into thinking it's been fertilized and to start proliferation. It obviously wouldn't be viable (and I imagine would probably not survive long), but I imagine it would give rise to stem cells of some sort.
Yeh, in theory all you need to do is present/inject the egg with the same enzymes the sperm would (but minus the actual sperm + genetic information) and a few other inhibitors. This would force embryogenesis. It's a bit more complicated than this, but that is the general concept.

Many other animals already DO force embryogenesis in their eggs without male sperm (asexual reproduction). This is known as parthenogenesis. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis). That article actually talks about it having been done in humans but I can't be assed to read the actual paper so I don't know how accurate Wiki is.

As Rev.d Mike says -- a Ca2+ spike is the major signalling change in eggs that tell it that a sperm has bound and that it should begin embryogenesis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads