Bahrain? Hypocrisy from the west? Watch

Chemical
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqS7dadM4Ig

A beautiful poem to trigger discussion. What are your thoughts on Bahran?
thisisnew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My thoughts are that the likes of Russia or China might want to do something for a change instead of opposing watered down resolutions condemning Syria. Apparently the death toll in Bahrain is something like 25 where as in Syria it's over 500 and rising daily and Libya is what? Thousands? Then you have the fact that Libya already had some sort of rebellion present. The implications of the west "intervening" in an Arab country (especially ones close to Iran/Saudi Arabia) devoid of any pre-existing platform from which to begin, would be nothing short of disastrous.
Chemical
Yes, the death toll in Bahrain is 30, with 1000's injured and 700 currently detained. But let's not forget that the population in Bahrain is just over half a million. So 30 killed, 1000 injured and 700 detained is like 4000 dead in Egypt, 121,000 injured and 100,000 detained....think of it in that perspective.
Chemical
Bahrain is a strong Ally of Britian and the US, if they wished they could stop the terror without military intervention, but no word but 'restraint' has been called for.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chemical)
Bahrain is a strong Ally of Britian and the US, if they wished they could stop the terror without military intervention, but no word but 'restraint' has been called for.
I think you overestimate the influence of the West tbh. Why can't other Arab nations do something why must it always fall to the West. We are taking on Libya and trying ot help there. Maybe China or India or the Arab league shoudl try and do something to help others for once.
Chemical
Because the other Arab Nations are standing behind the Bahraini Monarch...Saudi Arabia(another Ally) sent an army to support the Bahraini King.

In this situation who will speak out?
Theconomist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The thing is you cannot expect the government to just sit and switch to a democratic regime on its own.
The problem with Bahrain isn't about democracy it's about shiite and sunnis.
Chemical
(Original post by Theconomist)
The thing is you cannot expect the government to just sit and switch to a democratic regime on its own.
The problem with Bahrain isn't about democracy it's about shiite and sunnis.
I can't disagree more, it has been painted that way by the Bahraini Government and the gullible media. The system in Bahrain has affected both sects(shiite and sunnites) negatively, albeit not equally. The revolution in Bahrain began with Shiite and Sunnite protesters but during the crackdown only Shiites were killed, targetted and detained(The majority), it was strategically done that way because the Monarch is Sunnite himself so if he killed the sunnis he would lose home backing. Also by creating a sectarian divide the government have managed to justify their brutal crackdown.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads