Universities Watch

Willdearn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Having some trouble deciding on which universities to apply for, I was going to try for Cambridge and I think I have a chance but I want to do physics (astro, particle, theoretical; need to make up my mind) but I don't know whether I would benefit more from just physics at birmingham or Manchester as oppose to the natural sciences course. I just want to learn a lot about some very exciting physics so would a university other than Cambridge be better? HELP.
foochahot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I do physics at Birmingham.
The department is by far the best that I saw (visited: ox, camb, brist, warwick, shef, bham, exeter & durham), hence why I chose birmingham.
Now that I am here, I can also confirm that the staff are great. They are research leaders, and loads of them work on ATLAS & ALICE at CERN. Think a few are at one of the other detectors too. Also, they have very big Astro and particle departments.
If you want interesting physics, I would recommend doing a straight physics degree, as with nat sci you have to waste quite a bit of your first 1 or 2 years doing sciences that you probably don't care for eg. biology or geology.
However, If you think you can get into Camb, why not try straight physics at oxford? Whilst I didn't like the department, It does top the tables for physics, so can't be that bad.

In conclusion, don't waste your time doing nat sci unless you want to keep your options open. I have friends who have done nat sci at Bham & durham, and they regret it.
Willdearn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I forgot to mention Oxford thinking of there aswell, I guess I'll just have to visit them all. You're probably right about the natsci thing it does seem kinda dumb to waste time doing other subjects when I know I want to do physics. Thanks.
Madrigal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Willdearn)
I forgot to mention Oxford thinking of there aswell, I guess I'll just have to visit them all. You're probably right about the natsci thing it does seem kinda dumb to waste time doing other subjects when I know I want to do physics. Thanks.
You can apply for the 'Mathematics for Physics' (or some variation of the name; can't put my finger on it at this instance) at Cambridge, where, if accepted, you will spend your first year doing straight up Mathematics and it's only in the second year that you shift to the straight-up Physics course with the NatSci students, if I am not mistaken. In the first year, you can choose to do either applied maths modules or physics modules. (something like that, anyway)
thestudent55555
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you think you are Cambridge then why not try Imperial? They are obviously renowned for their science depts. and when I visited I fell in love with it.

Also, Southampton has a very strong physics dept. Their lecturers are very engaging and enthusiastic. I went for a welcome day last November and loved it!!!!! I would have accepted their offer if it weren't for UCL :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads